What's new

Wan over Wifi

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Nuggets

New Around Here
Hello,

I have some trouble with my internet provider. But my neighbour share its wifi pass.
I have an asus RT-AX88u. I would like to use its wifi as WAN.

I connected to him with ssh.

I created an wlan interface with this commands.
*iw phy phy0 interface add wlan0 type managed
*ifconfig wlan0 up

I tried to use wpa_supplicant with the following command :
wpa_supplicant-2.7 -iwlan0 -c wpa.conf

And wpa.conf is :

network={
ssid="wifi_name"
psk="key"
}

But I got the following message :
Successfully initialized wpa_supplicant
rfkill: Cannot open RFKILL control device
wlan0: Trying to associate with XX:XX:XX:XX (SSID='wifi_name' freq=2412 MHz)
wlan0: CTRL-EVENT-ASSOC-REJECT status_code=1

Could you help me ?

Thank you very much

You can't. There is no Wireless ISP (WISP) on Asus routers. You need another router as Wireless Bridge and your Asus router connected to it.

wouldn’t repeater mode work?

398AEB1D-E5F1-453C-8788-FC25BCAC055A.jpeg

All connected devices become part of the neighbor's network. I don't think this is what @Nuggets wants.

If he has two ASUS routers he could have one in media bridge and then use Ethernet to wan of the next ASUS router and run his own dhcp, firewall ect. But again sucks because it requires two routers.

9ED8A757-39FE-430B-A25A-3B0A5529F559.jpeg

In repeater mode, my devices are seen by my neighboor. I would like my devices are isolated in its own network.
I'm not sure my explanation is not clear. Do you understand ?

Unfortunately, i have only 1 Asus Router :-(

In repeater mode, my devices are seen by my neighboor. I would like my devices are isolated in its own network.
I'm not sure my explanation is not clear. Do you understand ?

Unfortunately, i have only 1 Asus Router :-(

Myself and @Tech9 understand the question.

Openwrt is capable of this Asuswrt-Merlin is not.

It seems Asuswrt-merlin gui does not provide this feature.

But, using commands by ssh, is there a way ?

If WISP was possible, it would be available as setup instructions on SNB Forums. Many people asked the same questions before.

I have some trouble with my internet provider. But my neighbour share its wifi pass.
I have an asus RT-AX88u. I would like to use its wifi as WAN.

If I were your neighbor, I would want to know what trouble is preventing you from using the same ISP on your own... I would not want your ISP trouble to become my ISP trouble.

OE

Don't worry, it is not my ISP directly. The room where is the ISP box is being renovated. So I cannot connect the ISP box.
My neighboor shares its pass during this renovation (3 weeks)

Don't worry, it is not my ISP directly. The room where is the ISP box is being renovated. So I cannot connect the ISP box.
My neighboor shares its pass during this renovation (3 weeks)

If I’m assuming this is the same building on the same power grid you can try and buy a power line Ethernet kit that way you can connect to a Ethernet port on one end and the other to the wan of your router. Depending on the return policy you might be able to return them after your done renovating.

or buy a second router doesn’t need to be ASUS.

or buy a second router doesn’t need to be ASUS.

It has to have Wireless Bridge mode though. Not all home routers have it. A travel router from GL.iNet is an option.

It has to have Wireless Bridge mode though. Not all home routers have it. A travel router from GL.iNet is an option.

Well he could use his ASUS in media bridge mode and any router in standard router mode. But yeah if he wanted to use his ASUS as his primary router for dhcp, firewall etc then gl.inet is a option.

I assume most ASUS routers have media bridge mode but I could be incorrect about this.

That said if he has GL.inet router it runs openwrt and he can just use wisp. Which I think is what you meant anyways.

Last edited:
The neighbor also needs a guest network or all the neighbor's devices will be visible to the OP?

That said if he has GL.inet router it runs openwrt and he can just use wisp. Which I think is what you meant anyways.

WISP is part of travel routers functionality. OpenWRT is just their firmware choice. Tomato can do it as well on RT-AC68U.

The neighbor also needs a guest network or all the neighbor's devices will be visible to the OP?

The neighbor is just a nice guy offering help. I'm sure @Nuggets has no intentions to do anything harmful to his network.

Alternatively his neighbour could put his guest network in ap isolate mode so none of the devices on the guest network appear on the neighbouring network and OP can use repeater mode without having to go out and buy a router.

That does leave control of the network to the neighbor and you needing a certain level of trust.

Yes, I have good relationship with my neighboor. This is temporary. And I would like to avoid to change fixed adresses of my devices