What's new

WAN port speed capped in AP mode?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dlandiss

Very Senior Member
Odd thing happened with my AC68U Access Point today. I noticed that the highest download speed I could get was always very near 100Mbps. I checked the connectors and cables but could find nothing amiss.

As a last-ditch effort I moved the feed plug from the WAN port to a LAN port and YES! the downloads are now about 230Mbps (paying Spectrum for 200).

Odd thing happened with my AC68U Access Point today. I noticed that the highest download speed I could get was always very near 100Mbps. I checked the connectors and cables but could find nothing amiss.

As a last-ditch effort I moved the feed plug from the WAN port to a LAN port and YES! the downloads are now about 230Mbps (paying Spectrum for 200).
Check out my post here it's at the bottom. Also, were you on the Time Warner plan and in the Charlotte Metro area? I was and it used to give me a boost for the first 16 seconds of download speed. They took me off that plan to put me on a new Spectrum plan for 400/20.

I've connected a 68U as both an AP and Node (same router with different configuration) through the WAN port and did not see a speed cap. Currently configured as an AiMesh wired node, I get speedtest scores around 900mbps.

I don't know if this is related to your experience...

Spectrum recently bumped my speeds from 100/10 to 200/10, but I did not measure 230/12 until I rebooted my SB6141 cable modem. Maybe remaking your WAN connection had a similar affect. Did your Spectrum bill also increase by $5?

OE

Check out my post here it's at the bottom
Thank you Geddric. My symptoms apply only to the WAN port when used as an Access Point.

I've connected a 68U as both an AP and Node (same router with different configuration) through the WAN port and did not see a speed cap.
Thank you, Ronald. That's how mine used to work also, so something has farkled the WAN port. That's not a problem, I still have spare LAN ports to use.

Maybe remaking your WAN connection had a similar affect. Did your Spectrum bill also increase by $5?
Thank you, OE. I did not re-make the WAN connection in the main router (connected to Spectrum), only in the AP. I still got the higher rate when connecting to the main router.

My Spectrum bill always seems to be going up with new fees they discover they can add, but I did not see an increase a year or so ago when I asked them about a 200Mbps connection and they switched me for free.

SpectrumBill0.png

It can be kind of fun to play with. I have discovered that I can achieve a 220Mbps connection to Helsinki, Finland! But the ping times are of course enormous.

I pay them $75/ for 200/10 Internet only in MO.

For TV I use an antenna and currently HBOMax $15/ and Disney+ESPN+Hulu $13/ and whatever I find on Roku.

For phone I use VoIP.ms ~$100/year. This is also my mobile phone over cellular data using a free Google Fi data-only SIM off my wife's account... she pays $10/GB prorated... I might use $1-2/month.

No added fees or taxes.

OE

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!