What's new

Want to change my Sky Q router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Martina37

New Around Here
Hi everyone I am new here and to upgrading routers. Please be gentle.

I want to upgrade my Sky Q router for something better.

My 15 year old son is a gamer both Xbox X and PC.

My eldest son uses Steam a lot and his computer.

We have a Sky Q main tv box and 3 multi room boxes

I want something that is future proof and will support the above and we have Alexa devices and mobile phones.

I would really love advice on what models of routers are best for us and they need to support I believe DHCP 60-61 MER. Will I need to load that firmware on to the new router a how do I go about doing that please.

Everything is on WiFi apart from the sky tv box. Not sure about hard wiring or to use some Devolo Magic 2 adapters as I haven’t a clue how I would feed cables from upstairs to downstairs to enable me to do this.

Sorry for the long post.

Many thanks

Martina37

Welcome to the forums.

With Sky I believe you need the third party router to support DHCP 60/61. Which would include most if not all of the newer ASUS routers that have DSL, AS LONG AS Merlin Firmware is Installed. I don't think ASUS routers support DHCP 60/61 without Merlin Firmware. ASUS would be my choice and installing Merlin firmware is not difficult with guidance on these forums.

Another option is TP Link Routers as I think most of the newer ones support DHCP 60/61 the VR2800 is a good choice.

As for Netgear these models are supported https://kb.netgear.com/000062426/Which-NETGEAR-routers-support-DHCP-option-60-and-61

Also you need to state your budget and what you are trying to cover, size of property, do you need AX or is AC ok etc ? (AX is the latest version of wifi, but overkill for most people right now)

I cannot make a solid recomendation of which ASUS router as I don't use DSL, however I am sure there are many using sky broadband on here that could help you further.

H
Welcome to the forums.

With Sky I believe you need the third party router to support DHCP 60/61. Which would include most if not all of the newer ASUS routers that have DSL, AS LONG AS Merlin Firmware is Installed. I don't think ASUS routers support DHCP 60/61 without Merlin Firmware. ASUS would be my choice and installing Merlin firmware is not difficult with guidance on these forums.

Another option is TP Link Routers as I think most of the newer ones support DHCP 60/61 the VR2800 is a good choice.

As for Netgear these models are supported https://kb.netgear.com/000062426/Which-NETGEAR-routers-support-DHCP-option-60-and-61

Also you need to state your budget and what you are trying to cover, size of property, do you need AX or is AC ok etc ? (AX is the latest version of wifi, but overkill for most people right now)

I cannot make a solid recomendation of which ASUS router as I don't use DSL, however I am sure there are many using sky broadband on here that could help you further.
Hi

Thanks for taking the time to reply. My sons are saying the ASUS Routers too. Up to £300 is the budget, it’s to cover a 3 bed semi detached property.
I just need to know which models of ASUS would be best and then how to get this merlin firmware on it and where do I get the download from.

Would the WiFi be able to reach out in the back garden in case I decided to put a garden room out there ?

Not sure what you meant by AX or AC sorry

many thanks

I don't think ASUS routers support DHCP 60/61 without Merlin Firmware.

It's available in stock Asuswrt, but I would approach carefully ISP boxes providing more than just Internet. I don't know what Sky Q hub does and if settings are open for modifications. Someone from UK may provide more details if Sky device can be replaced. Don't rush with router and firmware recommendations. @Martina37 may need better Wi-Fi only, not a new router.

Last edited:
H

Hi

Thanks for taking the time to reply. My sons are saying the ASUS Routers too. Up to £300 is the budget, it’s to cover a 3 bed semi detached property.
I just need to know which models of ASUS would be best and then how to get this merlin firmware on it and where do I get the download from.

Would the WiFi be able to reach out in the back garden in case I decided to put a garden room out there ?

Not sure what you meant by AX or AC sorry

many thanks
Would it work to the garden - depends on the positioning of the router, if its at the front of the house then possibly not, or weak at best.

AX vs AC https://www.minim.com/blog/wifi-6-vs-wifi-5-speed

I cannot recommend a router tho, because I dont know enough about DSL connections.

A review of Sky Q Hub says:
"The Sky Q Hub isn’t just a regular router though, instead it’s an integral part of the Sky Q system. That means the other components, your Sky Q set-top box and any Sky Q Mini boxes act as wireless repeaters, expanding the range of your Wi-Fi network."

From @Martina37 description:
"We have a Sky Q main tv box and 3 multi room boxes".

Sounds like some sort of home "mesh" Wi-Fi system. Eventual replacing of the main router means replacing of everything. Sky Community support forums perhaps have the right answers - https://helpforum.sky.com/