What's new

Warranty on RT-AC86U purchased used from ebay

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

trad

New Around Here
What are my chances of getting warranty service on this router built in 2019 without purchase documentation?

It was delivered yesterday and the WAN port is dead, and actually all the lan ports are dead too. It doesn't look too bad otherwise and came in factory box. Perhaps a store return that wasn't properly tested before sending to ebay?

I was able to get latest factory firmware on it via the WIFI connection. But even attempting to set up dual WAN and use one of the other LAN ports for WAN access shows dead WAN connection. When booting, it will get 3 white lights on the right hand side. A 4th light in the center will light up red for a bit, then it will go off. The LHS status lights for LAN ports will not light up at any time testing with various laptops and internet switches. Anything else I might try?

If I understand correctly, it should still be in 2 year warranty.

Your luck with a warranty service will probably depend on which country you're in.

But without the original sales receipt I'd guess your odds are somewhere between no hope and Bob Hope.

What are my chances of getting warranty service on this router built in 2019 without purchase documentation?

It was delivered yesterday and the WAN port is dead, and actually all the lan ports are dead too. It doesn't look too bad otherwise and came in factory box. Perhaps a store return that wasn't properly tested before sending to ebay?

I was able to get latest factory firmware on it via the WIFI connection. But even attempting to set up dual WAN and use one of the other LAN ports for WAN access shows dead WAN connection. When booting, it will get 3 white lights on the right hand side. A 4th light in the center will light up red for a bit, then it will go off. The LHS status lights for LAN ports will not light up at any time testing with various laptops and internet switches. Anything else I might try?

If I understand correctly, it should still be in 2 year warranty.
Unless it was sold on eBay as being a non working unit, why aren’t you just filing a eBay and PayPal strike as being Not As Described and getting a refund.

File a claim with eBay for a product that was not what the description stated. I have used eBay for years and had two purchases like that, eBay intervened and made the seller take it back and refund me.

File a claim with eBay for a product that was not what the description stated. I have used eBay for years and had two purchases like that, eBay intervened and made the seller take it back and refund me.
Yup, eBay Buyer Protection. Have used it once myself.

Yes, have already done that. Waiting for a reply from vendor. Just wondering what my chance is with Asus directly?

And I posted here, just to make sure it wasn't some kind of user error on my part. I don't know what else to try after updating the firmware to enable the dual WAN feature and testing with the LAN ports too.

Last edited:
Yes, have already done that. Waiting for a reply from vendor. Just wondering what my chance is with Asus directly?

And I posted here, just to make sure it wasn't some kind of user error on my part. I don't know what else to try after updating the firmware to enable the dual WAN feature and testing with the LAN ports too.
I think Colin said it best, post #2. IMO your best bet is to recoup your cash (if you bought it and it was not as described) and buy locally or amazon.

My experience with an ASUS warranty claim was awful even with all the paperwork. The 2.4 ghz radio was dead on an RT-AC86, it wasn’t subtle or unusual. They dragged the process out over about two months, asking me to run a series of tests to prove the hardware was at fault. Each time a week would go by before they’d have another thing to try. I never talked to the same person twice, and ultimately had to pay shipping to return it “For evaluation”. Ultimately they sent a refurb unit to replace it. It wasn’t worth my time.

You will have to ask ASUS about their position on the warranty of a used product that was not bought from an approved retailer, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's in their terms somewhere about not honouring such a situation, which isn't unusual for any manufacturer.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!