What's new

watchdog service / manage services without script.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ianyp

Occasional Visitor
Is there a way to get the watchdog service to monitor another process / service of my choosing, or is my only option to have a script run on a cronjob schedule?

I want to run my own SSH version and want to ensure it's kept alive.

I'm guessing the answer is no and to use JFFS script, but I wanted to check I'm not missing something obvious.

The watchdog service is a custom made daemon, it doesn't rely on any config file. You will have to roll your own through a cron job and a script.

Can it be configured at all as the ddns script runs every 30 seconds

I Downloaded my system log , it goes from 00:05 til 17:14 and ran 1749 times

You can't configure the watchdog process itself as Merlin said above. But you can change some DDNS settings, like verification frequency (WAN IP and hostname verification -> Check every), depending on which DDNS service you're using.

Last edited:
I checked that colin and have

1622628405723.png

So why every 30 seconds

I will log this with ASUS.

Last edited:
freedns.afraig.org

I don't have the same firmware as you so I can't check it. Do you see this:

Untitled.png

What output do you get from this command:
Code:
nvram show | grep ddns_regular

EDIT: Looking at the source code a bit more I don't think the above settings will solve your problem. I think the real solution is to fix the problem with DDNS rather than trying to change the frequency of the retries.

Has the router successfully synced with NTP?

Can you post the syslog entries covering two complete "loops" of the error messages.

Last edited:
I have Wan IP and hostname verifiction Off

you query

1622640708102.png

I currently have an open case with Asus on other suprious log entries.

After checking the DDNS I will have to let it settle before i can get you the log

@ColinTaylor Turned out it was a config error on my part. I have not seen an error for the last 4 hours. Sorry for the confusion.:mad: