What's new

WD My Book 4Tb attached to RT-AC68u & Fw:376.48_1

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

huotg01

I'm not sure that this is the exact right place to ask the question, but I have to start somewhere and usually here is the best place.

I have a WD My Book 4Tb USB-attached to RT-AC68u with fw:376.48_1
I also have a WD My Cloud NAS.

WD backup ecosystem uses something called "WD Smartware Pro" to backup Windows PC to WD attached disks and NAS. On a WD NAS, it also uses a function called "Safepoint" to automatically backup the whole NAS somewhere else (in order to recover if there is a fail with the NAS).

First, from the My Cloud NAS (will call it NAS), I tried to setup a Safepoint on the My Book attached to the RT-AC68u (will call it MBasus. The MBasus see the share on the NAS and ask for the ID and password to access the share. Whatever I try, I'm said that either the id or the pw is wrong, and as far as I know, it is not the case. Is there something I should do to make them "friends"?

Second, from my PC (Windows 8.1), I tried to setup a PC backup using "Smartware Pro". In its setup page, Smartware doesn't even see (or show) the MBasus drive. Again, is there something I should know and do in order to have Smartware be aware of the drive attached to the Asus router ?

Thanks for helping me to work with these two "majors".

GH

...As additional information, here is the result of a disk scan:
Code:
ntfsck 3014.5.21
Checking NTFS Superblock ...
Device name        : /dev/sda1
NTFS volume version: 3.1
Cluster size       : 4096 bytes
Current volume size: 4000751550464 bytes (4000752 MB)
Current device size: 4000751550464 bytes (4000752 MB)
Checking for bad sectors ...
Scanning $MFT ...
Checking directory structure ...
Checking for orphaned files ...
  0.00 percent completed
Deleting orphaned inode 16 (0x10)
Deleting orphaned inode 17 (0x11)
Deleting orphaned inode 18 (0x12)
Deleting orphaned inode 19 (0x13)
Deleting orphaned inode 20 (0x14)
Deleting orphaned inode 21 (0x15)
Deleting orphaned inode 22 (0x16)
Deleting orphaned inode 23 (0x17)
 39.22 percent completed
 78.43 percent completed
100.00 percent completed
Scanning orphaned files completed.
Checking attributes ...
  0.00 percent completed
 39.22 percent completed
 78.43 percent completed
100.00 percent completed
Failed to calloc 122093248 bytes: Cannot allocate memory
Checking cluster allocation ...
[B]ERROR(12): Failed to setup allocation bitmap: Cannot allocate memory
Syncing device[/B] ...

Maybe it can help ?

GH

The router doesn't have enough memory to do a complete filesystem scan with large disks. Since the router did report numerous inconsistencies, I would recommend plugging it to a PC, and doing a filesystem scan/repair from that PC.

Thanks Merlin
I made a disk check using my PC and everything is ok.
The disk is back on the RT-AC68u, but I don't even see it from my PC.

Do I have to set something here:
  • Simpler share naming
  • Force as Master Browser
  • Set as WINS server

What am I missing ?

GH

Attachments

• ASUS-1.jpg
    ASUS-1.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 797
  • ASUS-2.jpg
    ASUS-2.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 683
  • ASUS-3.png
    ASUS-3.png
    25.1 KB · Views: 394
Why not simply attach MyBook to usb 3.0 port of MyCloud NAS?

Attach it directly create share from MyCloud dashboard and make the safepoint to it.

I have 3 hdds attached to MyCloud nas using a hub and it works great.

You can get more help in MyCloud subforum in WD community.

Try enabling the option to force your router as the workgroup's master browser ,in case you have a master browser issue on your network (that can be quite common if you have other machines with different workgroup or firewall configurations).

Also try to access it through its URI: \\router_ip_address

Try enabling the option to force your router as the workgroup's master browser ,in case you have a master browser issue on your network (that can be quite common if you have other machines with different workgroup or firewall configurations).

Thanks Merlin. I still don't see it in the network section, but I was able to map it using the URI.

Why not simply attach MyBook to usb 3.0 port of MyCloud NAS?
Attach it directly create share from MyCloud dashboard and make the safepoint to it.

I have 3 hdds attached to MyCloud nas using a hub and it works great.

You can get more help in MyCloud subforum in WD community.
As you suggested sammarbella, I also asked for help in the WD community.
For the other point (attaching the disk directly to the NAS), I used to do it that way, but I wanted to make use the Sync Server facility (with a friend of mine) to better secure my data with an automatic outside backup. Thanks for your help.

GH

I just remembered that I had disabled DLNA Media Server this morning (not using it).
I enabled it back, and ...the Asus router was again in the Network locations!
That's the way it is ? I have to enable DLNA ?

Just to know,

GH

I just remembered that I had disabled DLNA Media Server this morning (not using it).
I enabled it back, and ...the Asus router was again in the Network locations!
That's the way it is ? I have to enable DLNA ?

Just to know,

GH

Windows can display network devices for various types of protocols. It will display SMB devices provided they are in the same Workgroup, and it will also display UPNP or DLNA devices. What you are seeing is the DLNA server, not the SMB server.

If direct URI access works, then it means you have a browsing issue. Most common is the browser master on your network is on a firewalled machine - enabling the router's option to force itself as the browser master should take care of that after a few minutes (once a new election was completed on the LAN). The other reason can be if the workgroup is different from your computer.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!