What's new

web interface showing internet status: disconnected but internet is working

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

iw2ejh

Occasional Visitor
Hi all,

Since new year I noticed that my rt-ac68u is showing the internet status as Disconnected.

I'm running the latest Merlin FW 386.4 .

In the "WAN" > "internet connection" web page, I have the value of internet Detection set to "PPP Echo", and I also changed it with the "DNS Probe" without results.

In the "Administration" > "System" web page I tried both and single, the "DNS" query and the "Ping" setting different IP values without results.

in the last month I also upgraded my pi-hole that was two year old, and did some changes to the DNS settings in the router in order to route all the traffic through the node.

During the tests I also take of the loop pihole, but that didn't change the status of the internet connection showing "disconnected".

I do not have issues with internet, everything is working, just only that message instead of the real status and the DDNS address that usually appears.

I found a post where they solved changing the ip of the ping probe, I tried all the suggestions but still no result

thanks for the help

-3m

in the last month I also upgraded my pi-hole that was two year old, and did some changes to the DNS settings in the router in order to route all the traffic through the node.

With 386.4, ASUS has gotten a lot more aggressive w/ their connectivity checks. They normally ping dns.msftncsi.com over the WAN. And to make sure that happens, they also statically bind the WAN's DNS server(s) to the WAN itself! But they're not always smart about it. I had someone recently who had configured their WAN w/ the IP of the OpenVPN server (10.8.0.1) from their own VPS running pihole, which the router then bound to the WAN w/ a static route! The idea by the OP was to have the router eventually bound to the pihole across the tunnel once it was up and running. But w/ that static route, that was never going to happen.

So I'm wondering exactly what you did. Seems to me we're going to see more and more cases of ppl messing w/ the WAN's DNS servers and creating problems due to these static routes by ASUS.

Last edited:
So I'm wondering exactly what you did.
Actually my config is very light.

The Pihole is running on a raspberry pi inside a Docker container.
the DNS (ip of the Pihole) is advertized in the DHCP running in the router, so all the devices connected to the router use it to access internet.

The router is configured:
WAN> Internet connection > Account Setting > Internet Detection: PPP Echo
Wan > Internet Connection > Account Setting > PPP Echo Interval : 6
Wan > Internet Connection > Account Setting > PPP Echo Max Failures 10

WAN > Internet Connection > WAN DNS Setting > Connect to DNS Server automatically: yes
WAN > Internet Connection > WAN DNS Setting > Forward Local Domain queries to Upstream DNS: no
WAN > Internet Connection > WAN DNS Setting > Enable DNS Rebind protection: yes
WAN > Internet Connection > WAN DNS Setting > Enable DNSSEC support: no
WAN > Internet Connection > WAN DNS Setting > Prevent client auto DoH: auto
WAN > Internet Connection > WAN DNS Setting > DNS PrivacyProtocol: none

LAN> DHCP Server > DNS and WINS Server Setting > DNS Server 1: 192.168.1.xxx
LAN > DHCP Server > DNS and Wins Server Setting > DNS Server 2 : ----------
LAN > DHCP Server > DNS and Wins Server Setting > Advertise router's IP in addition to user-sepcified DNS: no

during tests, I did set the:
WAN > Internet Connection > WAN DNS Setting > Connect to DNS Server automatically: no
and indicate the ip address of the local pihole DNS as per indications in the ASUS site in order to redirect all the traffic to my DNS server. I think this should be my final configuration, but actually the router is taking automatically the ISP DNS server.

If you haven't messed w/ the connectivity checks (ping or DNS query), then it should be attempting to issue a DNS query to the default, dns.msftncsi.com. If you ssh into the router and issue the following, does it return the IP?

Code:
nslookup dns.msftncsi.com

If that doesn't work properly, that's at least one reason it would report no connectivity (e.g., your pihole is blocking it).

Since new year I noticed that my rt-ac68u is showing the internet status as Disconnected.

I'm running the latest Merlin FW 386.4 .
Seems to be a fairly common problem for some based on the numerous past posts and threads about the issue with the 386.4 firmware. Some past discussion:

Bunch of posts in the 386.4 thread you may want to dig through:

Alpha and Beta 386.4 had it as well:

A troubleshooting suggestion if you haven't done so already. Do a hard reset (https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1039077). If that doesn't work, try downgrading back to 386.3_2, then upgrading back to 386.4. Some who run 386.4 on the RT-AC68U do not have this particular problem.

Last edited:
Thanks to all for your valued answers, the problem now seems solved, I can see the status of Connected in the web page.
Unfortunately I have not understood what was causing the issue and what solved it. The status appeared as "Connected" after I logged via SSH to the router, issued the "nslookup dns.msftncsi.com" command and it was sucessfull. I run some other commands like top etc, and logged out. Then reloading the web interface, the "internet status" appeared as connect and showing my wan IP and my DDNS. I suspect there is some incongruity between the web interface settings and the config written in the router, but not sure at all. This situation was there since a month, reboot and reconfiguration never change anything. Now it is ok.

Thanks again.

In many instances, a single reset to factory defaults isn't enough. Seems like you did as many as needed. :)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!