What's new

Weird issue with a PS4

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

IPOPOX

Occasional Visitor
Hi guys,

I am totally crazy with this issue.
I have a Rt-n56u router with the last official firmware.
I am having awful download and upload speeds only with Ps4.
2mbs download and 500kb upload. My connection is a 50mb one.
I already try DMZ and didn't work.

Only happens with ps4. The weird thing is that I also have modem/wifi router from my isp, if I connect to this router the speeds are almost logical and normal.
The only problem is that this router is not very stable and sometimes I have some lags.

The speeds with my other devices using my Asus router is perfectly fine as well.

Any idea?? Thanks in advance!!
Cheers,

I don’t know if I can be of help if you already tried DMZ which is regarded to be the nuclear solution in PS4 connectivity issues.

But what speeds do you get when you use “Test Internet Connection” on the PS4? What “NAT Type” is the PS4 reporting there?

Try reserving an IP address on the router, although I suspect you already tried that.
A bit on port forwarding for the PS4 http://community.eu.playstation.com...for-the-PlayStation-and-how/m-p/13390870#M516

Port forwarding and DMZ have no effect on speed so don't get distracted by changing those settings.

Have you tried connecting the PS4 to the router with a cable and testing the speed again?

Hi MJ and Colin,

Thanks for your reply.

I did not try wired connection.
I just tried using differents dnd, using DMZ and noting.
I already tried to change the channel with no luck.

Here some info :
My connection is a 50mb of upload and 5 download.
With my Asus router and using speedtest in windows or android I get arround 35 and 4.
With ps4 1.7 and 100kb

Connected to the modem/router provided by the isp I get with windows or android almost 50mb and 5 or 6
With ps4 15mb and 3mb

Pretty weird

Here some info :
My connection is a 50mb of upload and 5 download.
With my Asus router and using speedtest in windows or android I get around 35 and 4.
I find that the PS4 speed test does not give accurate results. Concentrate on fixing the problem that you're seeing from the Windows PC which is a better test. According to this review the Asus should easily be able to supply >50Mbps over 2.4GHz wireless.

How far away from the router is the PC when you do the speed test?
What are you using for a modem if you're not using your ISP-supplied modem/router?
Try turning off all of the EzQoS settings so that it says "Available Bandwidth: 100%".
What "Operation Mode" are you using on the Asus, "IP Sharing mode(Default)" or "Router(Disable NAT)"?

In the first place the wireless connection must be good enough, a lot is written about that:
  • No major obstacles.
  • Selecting the least used channel out of 1, 6 or 11.
  • Set 2.4 GHz fixed to 20 MHz.
Next thing I can say: we do have a PS4 (before a PS3 and PS2), and had various routers, the previous a RT-N66U and now a RT-AC68U.
The routers are set up pretty default, no DMZ, no port forwarding, no Qos. And the PS always work flawless.
I suggest to roll back to default setup, put the PS and router in the same room and try again.
Then move them apart again and see what happens.

Hi Colin and Wouterv,

Thanks again for your replies.
The speed test of the PS4 is not accurate, I agree on that, anyway the difference between the routers is huge.

The ps4 is 20 feet aways of both routes.
No EzQoz is enabled.
Yesterday I tried to reset the router to default values and extremely slow speeds are still there.

After the reset an update file (ps4) of 400mb in the Asus took 15 minutes, connected to the isp router took 4 minutes.

I just tried to fix 2.4hz to 20mhz and I will try.

At this point I believe that exist some kind of incompatible between the Asus router and the PS4.

Thanks again for your help.
Cheers

At this point I believe that exist some kind of incompatible between the Asus router and the PS4.
Quite possibly, but you also said that the problem is effecting your Windows PC, just not to the same extent. That suggests a general underlying problem rather than a PS4-specific one.

What are you using for a modem if you're not using your ISP-supplied modem/router?
What "Operation Mode" are you using on the Asus, "IP Sharing mode(Default)" or "Router(Disable NAT)"?

You are correct I omitted one thing. After the reset and didn't see any improvement I performed and power cycle (5 minutes off the AC) something that I don't usually believe but worked for all devices with the exception of the PS4. After power cycle all other devices are now running at full download and upload speed.

My feelings are (and I don't know if this is technically possible) that the PS4 "collapse" the Asus router after trying update something. Why? After every update I have this problem and after unplug the asus from the AC all other devices recover the normal download and upload speed.

Regarding why I have 2 routers? Actually my house is not big at all but at the very beginning my isp only provided to me a modem and then when I upgraded my speed they changed the modem and now is a router too.

The operating mode is the default AP Only.

Cheers,

Actually I have a Modem/Router (Cisco) all in one from the ISP and a the Asus connected to the Cisco.

Operating Mode is: Wireless Router Mode (default), see picture.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180121-115057.jpg
    Screenshot_20180121-115057.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 609
Can you put the Cisco into "bridge" mode, so it's effectively acting as just a modem?

Does the Cisco have wireless as well, have you turned that off when the Asus is plugged into it?

Can you put the Cisco into "bridge" mode, so it's effectively acting as just a modem?

Does the Cisco have wireless as well, have you turned that off when the Asus is plugged into it?

Hi Colin,

I tried what you suggested, change the Cisco to Bridge mode and the slow speeds persist.
At this point, I believe that there is nothing wrong with the configuration and is some kind of incompatibility between PS4 and the RT-N56U.