What's new

Weird problem with the GUI

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

TheLyppardMan

Very Senior Member
Something strange has started happening. If I open the GUI with Firefox, all is well until I view the system log page. Then, within 2 to 3 seconds, Firefox crashes. This doesn't happen using Microsoft Edge and only started happening with Firefox yesterday. I wonder what could be causing it?

Attachments

• Screenshot - 21_07_2020 , 10_52_19.jpg
    Screenshot - 21_07_2020 , 10_52_19.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 333
Something strange has started happening. If I open the GUI with Firefox, all is well until I view the system log page. Then, within 2 to 3 seconds, Firefox crashes. This doesn't happen using Microsoft Edge and only started happening with Firefox yesterday. I wonder what could be causing it?
No issues with Firefox here. What add-on`s are you using?

I don't think it's the add-ons as I haven't added any new ones lately. I'm sort of suspecting my antivirus software as I did change that a couple of days ago. I'll try uninstalling it later after I finish work to see if that solves the issue. Strange that it's only affecting one particular page in the GUI though (as far as I know; I haven't checked every single page as yet).

What router model? Which firmware version?

It's firmware version 384.18 and the router model is RT-AC86U. I've ruled out the antivirus being implicated as it still did it while it was uninstalled. I've also tried reinstalling Firefox after uninstalling it and deleting all personal folders. I tested it before resynchronising it to my account to rule out any add-ons/extensions but it still crashed on the system log page. I'll check on the Mozilla forum to see if anyone there has any ideas.

I have add-ons, but none was loaded before I logged in to my Firefox account after reinstalling the browser (see my post #5 above for further details). I've just tried it in Safe Mode and exactly the same thing happens.

I have add-ons, but none was loaded before I logged in to my Firefox account after reinstalling the browser (see my post #5 above for further details). I've just tried it in Safe Mode and exactly the same thing happens.

can you try https://www.waterfox.net/

which is based on firefox and see if that is the same?

No errors posted (nothing at all in fact on the console tab).

Attachments

• Screenshot - 21_07_2020 , 21_45_53.jpg
    Screenshot - 21_07_2020 , 21_45_53.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 278
Well....the console wasn't too useful.

Apparently, you can view the crash report by typing
about:crashes
in the address box. I don't know if it will mean anything to anyone besides a firefox developer, but maybe worth a try.

Dedicated Firefox user here (rarely use anything else unless absolutely necessary). Have never had any issues with the firmware GUI. Indeed, it has been so long since my Firefox crashed that I quite literally can't remember even a hint of such an event, at least not on my Windows 10 desktop. Perhaps I've seen the mobile version crash, but even that's a distant memory.

Well....the console wasn't too useful.

Apparently, you can view the crash report by typing
about:crashes
in the address box. I don't know if it will mean anything to anyone besides a firefox developer, but maybe worth a try.
Yes, I was asked to do that on the Firefox support forum, so I tried it this morning, but all that does is open a page which says " No crash reports have been submitted." So there you have it, a crash is apparently not a crash!

I noticed in an earlier post that you have installed another antivirus/antimalware? If so you may want to go back to Microsoft Defender. It is as good as all the free antivirus packages and better than most of the paid ones. About the only issue I have had with Firefox is when viewing multiple streaming images from security cam software and that can be fixed. You may want to disable DoH in Firefox as well.

Yes, I was asked to do that on the Firefox support forum, so I tried it this morning, but all that does is open a page which says " No crash reports have been submitted." So there you have it, a crash is apparently not a crash!
If you're like me, you probably turned off data collection. Check the Privacy and Security settings for the Firefox Data Collection options.

Update: I hadn't disabled Firefox data collection and I had eliminated my antivirus by temporarily uninstalling it, as per my post #5 above. I've also ruled out add-on/extensions as being the cause. I'll check the Firefox support forum when I finish work, to see if they have anything further to add. Anyway, this is a good time to thank you all for your suggestions.

just a guess- have you checked for multiple asuswrt-merlin 'certs' in your view-certs list?... I had gui crashes and a few lockouts and slowdowns of the gui several few months ago after doing several wax-on/wax-off config rebuilds... thinned that list and never had those issues again...

just a guess- have you checked for multiple asuswrt-merlin 'certs' in your view-certs list?... I had gui crashes and a few lockouts and slowdowns of the gui several few months ago after doing several wax-on/wax-off config rebuilds... thinned that list and never had those issues again...
How do I check for that?