What's new

Weird website issue - seem to be something with the router..

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Did you get a new IP when you cloned the MAC? You only refer to dhcp duration (presumably lease time). I can imagine different behavior based on source IP but not MAC address since MAC isn’t shared outside your Ethernet network.

The day may come when that IP comes your way again even with the new MAC or new router.

Have you considered running AiMesh with the 86U as the router and 1900ac as the node?
I have gotten one IP with the cloned mac address of the new router and one withthe cloned mac address of my client PC.

Personally, I'd put the old router back in the box and bury it in the basement. Although, to me, the culprit looks more like an issue with the website itself being infected I wouldn't "trust" your old router on your network until either the issue reoccurs with the new router (solidifying the infected website theory) or you find some other cause. I suspect the issue is likely to come back either due to the website, as mentioned, or some other infection on your network. You don't seem convinced that this isn't malware of some sort, but it sure looks like it to me. If it does come back, then you may as well use your old router as a spare or AP.

I don't think there is a website infection at all. As the site that was coming up was a legitimate website. I truly think the issue lies within Spectrum's network and some old cached content. The IP and subnet varies by mac address - and I think I just got stuck within their network.
Since logging in this morning - I have already been issued a new IP by Charter (8 hours DHCP lease)and the websites are coming up as they should. You can bet I will keep an eye on things.

I am starting to think you just did this to promote your webiste.. :)

But if you did not, what happens if you type in your browser the IP address of the original webiste you'd expect to visit ?
Also, running wireshark and capture the pcap file would help quite a lot..