What's new

What are my options for enabling WireGuard on RT-N66U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

iliketurtles86

New Around Here
I am wanting to use the WireGuard protocol for VPN on my home network. I have first tried with OpenVPN, but the speeds were way too slow (around 10 mbps down). Without OpenVPN enabled, I get anywhere between 500-700 mbps down.

I have an RT-N66U router and am wondering if that is possible to use WireGuard on it. Currently I have Merlin firmware installed on it, version 380.70.0. But this firmware is end of life and no longer being supported.

I am also aware of DD-WRT firmware for my router, but I am not sure if I have the option of setting up WireGuard on it.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

I am wanting to use the WireGuard protocol for VPN on my home network. I have first tried with OpenVPN, but the speeds were way too slow (around 10 mbps down). Without OpenVPN enabled, I get anywhere between 500-700 mbps down.

I have an RT-N66U router and am wondering if that is possible to use WireGuard on it. Currently I have Merlin firmware installed on it, version 380.70.0. But this firmware is end of life and no longer being supported.

I am also aware of DD-WRT firmware for my router, but I am not sure if I have the option of setting up WireGuard on it.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
IMO it's time to upgrade that N66 if for nothing else than support and processor upgrade.

I use one of these RT-AX86S for an AP and I also installed one in a friend's house. This is a GREAT price IMO. It's a 2 CPU version of the AX86U and the coverage is solid. If funds permit, go for the RT-AX86U as your main router.

1673457354690.png

Thanks a lot for the information. Does this router support WireGuard with the stock Asus firmware? Or would I have to install some other firmware such as Merlin or DD-WRT?

Edit: And how would I know if a new router I am going to buy supports WireGuard?

Last edited:
The RT-AX86S supports WireGuard starting with firmware 388_xxxxxx.

As for other models, you would have to search Asus' product page to check, tho this is a very recent feature, so they might not have updated their product pages yet.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!