What's new

What are people doing with non-supported Routers like the RT-AC87U?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Robo

New Around Here
I have and love my RT-AC87U router. Been a solid performer for a number of years. I now use it as my main router/firewall and guest network and have the ZenWiFi XT8 as my mesh wireless configured in AP mode. I haven't upgraded the firmware for awhile now due to it not being supported but concerned more and more about security vulnerabilities. The only reason I haven't gone back to the ASUS firmware is I have configured VPN on it for most of my outbound traffic and last I checked that was not supported. Just wondering what others like me are doing? Thanks in advance!

Based on advices on this forum, I replace my beloved RT-AC87U by a RT-AX86U mainly for security fixes and have a Merlin supported device.
I have disconnected by RT-AC87U from my LAN and set it up with dual WAN while connected to an Android phone with a 4G as backup, in case my ISP provider has issues .... so far it happens only once in a year time but then I was quite happy to have this backup line for almost one day.

I know I could also set my RT-AX86U as dual WAN, but I preferred to do it this way and bring the RT-AC87U up only on demand.

Like that idea GSpock too. I have the ZenWiFi XT8 but my biggest issue is the lack of Merlin support for it with OpenVPN support (at least last I looked at what Merlin hardware supported).

What I am thinking now since I have the ZenWiFi XT8 is to configure the ZenWiFi XT8 as my main Router/Firewall and put the RT-AC87U behind that in a router config and keep the VPN configured on it. Then manage all the devices that I want to utilize the VPN through that which nearly all of those are wireless devices (cams, smart devices, etc). Kind of a poor mans VPN subnet. This will allow me to keep up with the supported security firmware patches on the ZenWiFi XT8 and not worry so much about the RT-AC87U other than potential wireless security issues. Does this sound like a dumb idea, too much work config, etc. and just go buy a newer, Merlin supported Router?! Sometimes I like the challenge. Thoughts and suggestions appreciated!

ebay

Not sure how much space you have but, I took an old RT-AC66U... & use it primarily as a switch for some extra Ethernet ports with an added benefit.
The benefit is cloned WiFi, especially when doing firmware updates on the other router.
Most of the time... I have BOTH Radio's turned off & use the RT-AC66U as a switch, but if you have a BUSY Family & you have a hard time finding a non-disruptive time to update.
It's very easy to swap-in & out the old router with barely a disruption.
Just an idea.