What's new

What are the optimal settings for my AC86U Router?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Popagogman

New Around Here
There are 7 people in my home which is quite demanding for my Wifi. I do not know much about a lot of this but would be able to navigate the ASUS website with some guidance. I want all of the lower demanding devices to be on the 2.4g and the gaming and tv devices to be on the 5g. so far I have read many other threads but would like some advice for this new current firmware. thank you.

Believe it or not - the Asus factory settings are generally the best for most...

WiFi performance is more about location/proximity to the router/ap than any trick settings...

Smart Connect, Airtime Fairness, Beamforming and Roaming Assistant on 2.4GHz all enabled - issues with IoT devices. 160MHz enabled with Auto channel + DFS without knowing anything about the Wi-Fi environment on 5GHz. What specification is Universal/Explicit Beamforming following on 2.4GHz + MU-MIMO with Wi-Fi 6 disabled, by the way? Just a few examples. It may work somehow, but definitely not the best.

Last edited:
I want all of the lower demanding devices to be on the 2.4g and the gaming and tv devices to be on the 5g.

Don't use Smart Connect, use separate SSIDs for 2.4GHz and 5GHz and spread your devices between the two bands the way you like it.

Don't use Smart Connect, use separate SSIDs for 2.4GHz and 5GHz and spread your devices between the two bands the way you like it.
Thank you for the advice. My wifi is having trouble at the moment but i'm thinking now it could be virgin media, not the Asus router.

Also, for more stable Wi-Fi I would disable Auto channel as well and use non-DSF range 36-48 or 149-161 (if available in your country).

Also, for more stable Wi-Fi I would disable Auto channel as well and use non-DSF range 36-48 or 149-161 (if available in your country).
I am not very familiar with this terminology. How would I make these changes and how would they make the wifi more stable. thank you very much for your reply.

You may have to read the User Manual. It contains basic explanation of GUI settings.

Smart Connect, Airtime Fairness, Beamforming and Roaming Assistant on 2.4GHz all enabled - issues with IoT devices. 160MHz enabled with Auto channel + DFS without knowing anything about the Wi-Fi environment on 5GHz. What specification is Universal/Explicit Beamforming following on 2.4GHz + MU-MIMO with Wi-Fi 6 disabled, by the way? Just a few examples. It may work somehow, but definitely not the best.
Since you're obviously on top of your game with this model, do you happen to know if Asus fixed the hardware issues that plagued the AC86U in 2017-19? I ask since I've been interested in upgrading my AC68P and have seen 2020 models for sale but don't want to experience the issues or failures I've seen posted here with the early ones. Thanks

No, I don't.

Don't upgrade to AC-class router. It will not get 388 firmware, only few security updates for 386 at best.
OK thanks..the reason I asked was I don't own any devices that support the AX band so it seemed obvious a more powerful AC router would be the best move. And yes, I know about future proofing, but my network is simple in comparison to most here. That said, I'm of the impression that Asus DID address the faulty hardware from the earlier production models though I'm unsure which year they changed them

AC86U has software issue as well. It was never fixed in many firmware releases and most likely will never be fixed with 386 firmware on life support. AC86U was a good deal new and with long warranty before it become clear Asus is not updating AC-class routers to 388 firmware. Not anymore.

OK thanks..the reason I asked was I don't own any devices that support the AX band so it seemed obvious a more powerful AC router would be the best move. And yes, I know about future proofing, but my network is simple in comparison to most here. That said, I'm of the impression that Asus DID address the faulty hardware from the earlier production models though I'm unsure which year they changed them
I can tell you that I bought two AC86U on sale in July, having surfed on it but somehow missing all the bad reports here. They have been running beautifully in AiMesh mode and solved any/all of the problems I'd been having. Dunno the build date(s) and have vacated the house for the moment so can't look, but assume fresh inventory from Amazon.

I'd probably do it again. YMMV.

but somehow missing all the bad reports here

AC86U units are not guaranteed to fail. This model just has higher % failure rate compared to other models. The software bug is still there though. It may affect Asuswrt-Merlin users running custom scripts with frequent NVRAM reads. Perhaps not noticeable in stock Asuswrt firmware.

AC86U units are not guaranteed to fail. This model just has higher % failure rate compared to other models. The software bug is still there though. It may affect Asuswrt-Merlin users running custom scripts with frequent NVRAM reads. Perhaps not noticeable in stock Asuswrt firmware.
Thanks..I'm not a Merlin user so I'll keep my eye out for units manufactured in the past couple of years and if I come across a great deal on an AX86S, I'll consider it too.

Did you read the part AC86U is perhaps facing few security updates only down the road? Further 386 firmware development is unlikely. You'll be getting a device hit by planned obsolescence from the beginning of your use. Just shop for AX86S at better price around holidays.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!