What's new

What ASUS AC router should i get?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

zOlid

Occasional Visitor
So i have a RTN66U now.
And I'm pretty pleased with it.
But as my electronics are starting to get upgraded to the AC standard i want to get a ASUS AC router.
But what one should i get?
I don't use the AI Cloud or the USB disk functions.
I have a Synology DS411 NAS, so i have no use for it really.
The only function I'm using is the LAN IP-TV function.
I'm using a beta firmware where i can put 0 in the VID fields.
(not sure if the newer firmwares have that function or not yet but haven't bothered to check)

So what AC router is enough?
I want to have as good speed and stability as possible.
And i don't really get whats the big difference with all the ASUS AC routers except some speed tbh.

I got 7 wireless products (all 5ghz capable.) 2 of them are AC atm.
And 3 wired (NAS, TV and printer)
And I'm gonna be getting a Apple rMBP when the new ones coming out. And that's for sure gonna have the AC standard.

Last edited:
And i don't really get whats the big difference with all the ASUS AC routers except some speed tbh.

Asus only has two AC routers available, so the choice isn't that difficult.

The RT-AC66U supports up to 1200 Mbits on the AC band and 450 Mbits on the N band.

The RT-AC56U supports up to 866 Mbits on the AC band and 300 Mbits on the N band. It does have a faster CPU and USB 3.0 ports, but you will mostly benefit from those only if you share a USB disk. It is also less expensive.

So if you have no intention to go with triple stream (450/1200) clients, get the cheaper RT-AC56U. Otherwise, the more expensive RT-AC66U.

Feature-wise, they both use Asuswrt, so they will have the exact same features.

With any AC hardware you're not going to see anywhere near rated throughput IRL. Keep that in mind. I don't think I've seen demonstrated throughput on any AC hardware anything over 600megabit/second wireless (i.e. hitting less than *half* rated throughput) even under ideal conditions.

They're nice routers don't get me wrong...but "gigabit" they are not over wireless.

Asus only has two AC routers available, so the choice isn't that difficult.

The RT-AC66U supports up to 1200 Mbits on the AC band and 450 Mbits on the N band.

The RT-AC56U supports up to 866 Mbits on the AC band and 300 Mbits on the N band. It does have a faster CPU and USB 3.0 ports, but you will mostly benefit from those only if you share a USB disk. It is also less expensive.

So if you have no intention to go with triple stream (450/1200) clients, get the cheaper RT-AC56U. Otherwise, the more expensive RT-AC66U.

Feature-wise, they both use Asuswrt, so they will have the exact same features.

hmm ok.
Kinda disappointing that the AC56U only have 300mbit on the N band.
Is that even if you use 5ghz? (just noticed its only 10$ difference in price between them atm. So the AC66U is the obvious choice anyway but just wondering)

But i guess if im going to use my AC electronics i should use them on 5ghz and all other stuff on 2.4ghz right?
Cos if i use my N rated electronics on the 5ghz band also wont that slow down the speed on the AC electronics?

hmm ok.
Kinda disappointing that the AC56U only have 300mbit on the N band.
Is that even if you use 5ghz? (just noticed its only 10$ difference in price between them atm. So the AC66U is the obvious choice anyway but just wondering)

Yes. This router is a dual-stream router - the triple-stream solution that will replace the RT-AC66U is the RT-AC68U, and it won't be available for a few more months.

Over here there's around 40$-50$ difference between the RT-AC56U and RT-AC66U. The AC56U is priced only slightly below the RT-N66U.

But i guess if im going to use my AC electronics i should use them on 5ghz and all other stuff on 2.4ghz right?
Cos if i use my N rated electronics on the 5ghz band also wont that slow down the speed on the AC electronics?

Not sure what kind of impact you get by having both 802.11n and 802.11ac clients connected to the same band. I suspect you would only see a real impact if you were doing a sustained transfer. Personally I would still put as much as possible on the 5 GHz band, because the 2.4 GHz band is too susceptible to interferences.

Yes. This router is a dual-stream router - the triple-stream solution that will replace the RT-AC66U is the RT-AC68U, and it won't be available for a few more months.

So whats the gain of getting the AC68U instead of AC66U really?
Are there any gains at all atm? (After its released)
Are there even AC wifi cards that have that high throughput? Or is it more of a future thing?

I just ordered a AC66U since they where so cheap here atm.

So whats the gain of getting the AC68U instead of AC66U really?
Are there any gains at all atm? (After its released)
Are there even AC wifi cards that have that high throughput? Or is it more of a future thing?

I just ordered a AC66U since they where so cheap here atm.

The final specs of the AC68 aren't fully known since the router is not available yet, but from what is known so far, it has a faster CPU similar to the AC56 (meaning better performance if you use Download Master or the built-in VPN server for example). The faster CPU will also mean faster WAN-to-LAN speed when hardware acceleration is disabled (for example when you enable QoS).

The 802.11n supports TurboQAM, allowing up to 600 Mbits on the 2.4 GHz band when used with a compatible 802.11n interface.

It also has a few improvements over the AC56 and AC66, such as a button to turn off its led. It's also based on the same second generation chip as the AC56, which might bring other improvements over the first generation chip used by the AC66U.

There is also a turbo mode that will overclock the CPU, meaning even faster WAN to LAN speed if HW acceleration is disabled.

No idea about actual range/coverage since the product is not available yet, so nobody could test it.

The final specs of the AC68 aren't fully known since the router is not available yet, but from what is known so far, it has a faster CPU similar to the AC56 (meaning better performance if you use Download Master or the built-in VPN server for example). The faster CPU will also mean faster WAN-to-LAN speed when hardware acceleration is disabled (for example when you enable QoS).

The 802.11n supports TurboQAM, allowing up to 600 Mbits on the 2.4 GHz band when used with a compatible 802.11n interface.

It also has a few improvements over the AC56 and AC66, such as a button to turn off its led. It's also based on the same second generation chip as the AC56, which might bring other improvements over the first generation chip used by the AC66U.

There is also a turbo mode that will overclock the CPU, meaning even faster WAN to LAN speed if HW acceleration is disabled.

No idea about actual range/coverage since the product is not available yet, so nobody could test it.

Well if their aren't any actual performance gains.
Except in QoS and the internal applications. Then i don't really see the point for my needs at least. I don't use QoS anyway. Don't see the point really. Got 100mbit up/down internet. With that speed QoS does little effect any way right?
The 2.4ghz improvement does no effect either since i run all my electronics on the 5ghz network except 2 of them.
Are there even 2.4ghz network cards running 600mbit?
All iv'e seen are rated at 450mbit max.

Dont need that fast speed on the electronics i run on the 2.4ghz band anyway. Like my receiver and TV box. I couldn't care less if there was more then 20mbit on the TV and 5mbit on the receiver. Since they don't need even that performance to run at max resolution/quality.

Well if their aren't any actual performance gains.
Except in QoS and the internal applications. Then i don't really see the point for my needs at least. I don't use QoS anyway. Don't see the point really. Got 100mbit up/down internet. With that speed QoS does little effect any way right?

Fast Internet access does reduce the need for QoS, but it doesn't fully eliminate it. It depends on your actual use of that connection. If you have a 100 Mbits link, and in that same house you have a teenager downloading a bunch of files over Bittorrent, another person using Netflix and you have a VoIP phone service, you will still need QoS to ensure that his torrrent does not impact the two other services (which are more latency-sensitive).

The 2.4ghz improvement does no effect either since i run all my electronics on the 5ghz network except 2 of them.
Are there even 2.4ghz network cards running 600mbit?
All iv'e seen are rated at 450mbit max.

Not yet. Asus will provide a driver update to one of their card (I forgot which) to add TurboQAM support. I suspect it will remain a fairly niche market, kinda like the 108 Mbits variant of 802.11g. It remains to be seen what will be the real throughput improvement brought by TurboQAM too.

Why buy bfore Asus has firmAs I user

I have a RT-N66U and a RT-AC66U just because I got disappointed first with the N66U , did not function even after 3 RMA:s and then bought an AC66U in august last year. It turned out that I got problems with the AC66U regarding the 5 GHz band and the stability of it regarding signal strength and sudden drops of it. Still after this time I have this problem and am still waiting for new Broadcom drivers integrated in the Asus f/w. I then bought a new N66U from Amazon - cheap bargain and had problems installing both new Asus f/w and Merlins f/w on it and as a last resort finlly succeeded to install Tomato USB Shiby f/w and have a really good working router with f/w .109 of this.
I use Asus USB.N53;s on all my pc_s and laptops that are connected to the AC66U. So , if just have the crave to spend your money by all means by the AC66U OR wait a bit longer to see if Asus really will deliver a working driver....

Why buy before Asus has firmAs I user

I have a RT-N66U and a RT-AC66U just because I got disappointed first with the N66U , did not function even after 3 RMA:s and then bought an AC66U in august last year. It turned out that I got problems with the AC66U regarding the 5 GHz band and the stability of it regarding signal strength and sudden drops of it. Still after this time I have this problem and am still waiting for new Broadcom drivers integrated in the Asus f/w. I then bought a new N66U from Amazon - cheap bargain and had problems installing both new Asus f/w and Merlins f/w on it and as a last resort finlly succeeded to install Tomato USB Shiby f/w and have a really good working router with f/w .109 of this.
I use Asus USB.N53;s on all my pc_s and laptops that are connected to the AC66U. So , if just have the crave to spend your money by all means by the AC66U OR wait a bit longer to see if Asus really will deliver a working driver....

Fast Internet access does reduce the need for QoS, but it doesn't fully eliminate it. It depends on your actual use of that connection. If you have a 100 Mbits link, and in that same house you have a teenager downloading a bunch of files over Bittorrent, another person using Netflix and you have a VoIP phone service, you will still need QoS to ensure that his torrrent does not impact the two other services (which are more latency-sensitive).

Not yet. Asus will provide a driver update to one of their card (I forgot which) to add TurboQAM support. I suspect it will remain a fairly niche market, kinda like the 108 Mbits variant of 802.11g. It remains to be seen what will be the real throughput improvement brought by TurboQAM too.

Ok sounds good.
Think the AC66 will be fine.
The extra functions from the AC68 is things i will never use anyway.
Thanks for all your help. Just gotta hope that the drivers are functioning good for it :)

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!