What's new

What does this message mean?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

It is saying one of your clients disconnected from your router's UPNP server unexpectedly.

Perhaps you need to update the client program that was using UPNP functionality, like some torrent client, chat client, game, etc that you were using when the error was logged.

MiniUpnPd not to get too technical, offers software which supports the UPnP Internet Gateway Device (IGD) specifications. UPnP and NAT-PMP are used to improve internet connectivity for devices behind a NAT router. This means that peer-to-peer network application such as games, IM, etc. can benefit from a NAT router supporting UPnP and/or NAT-PMP. As Nullity notes, the message you are receiving means that one of your clients (most likely a game console, torrent or chat client) was disconnected and the connection was reset.

If you happen to be using an XBox, you can check your connectivity by running the test provided at this link: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/jj125139.aspx-- this tests the IGD, or Internet Gateway Device to insure that your upnp device is mapping properly.

BTW, if you're running a Plex Media Server, there was a problem with AC66U's and AC68U's timing implementation for the Plex when the router's DLNA was enabled, which caused a similar message (miniupnpd[643]: sendto(udp): Operation not permitted), and the router would, if Plex was installed, constantly disconnect.

Merlin's FW, version 376.44 fixed this issue, and it was noted in the ChangeLog:

"- FIXED: Miniupnpd error flood in Syslog when using a Plex server on your LAN (fix from upstream)"

If you haven't already updated your firmware to a version equal to or higher than Merlin's 376.44, you might give that a try to see if this resolves your issue of disconnects with your client device (whatever device it may be). I have no idea whether the official firmware updates have picked up Merlin's fix or not, but you might want to look at their change logs as well.

Well I don't have Xbox but I have PS3, Wii U, 3DS, and PC. When I checked my logs it happened at a time when my consoles weren't on but I was using my Laptop at the time.

Now that I've looked at your other thread about PS3's, I see that Merlin suggested the likely answer in this post http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showpost.php?p=155312&postcount=5

Again, all the message means is that a client using minupnpd disconnected and reconnected. I suppose it could also have been from a laptop running a chat client, a torrent, etc. Why not post the log from your router, as it will likely identify which device disconnected and reconnected as well.