What's new

What does "WAN DNS Setting" do?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I thought you filled out LAN/DHCP dns settings to whatever dns settings you choose to use for example I thought i would fill out lan dns settings which would be 75.75.75.75 & 75.75.76.76 and on wan I would leave it automatic and than I would set advertise router ip to no.
It depends on what you're trying to achieve. You either want to use your router as a DNS forwarder and cache, or you want your clients to always go directly to an external DNS server. The choice is yours.

But those instructions i already have which are default settings.
Yes, because the default settings are the best in 99% of circumstances. That's why they're the default.

To be clear, the "latency" that the lonelycoder was talking about is the time it takes to resolve a host name through DNS. This is nothing to do with "latency" or "ping" that gamers talk about. That is something completely different.

source /usr/sbin/helper.sh
pc_delete "no-negcache" $CONFIG
pc_append "neg-ttl=3600" $CONFIG
Did you ever test:
Code:
pc_replace “no-negcache” “neg-ttl=3600” $CONFIG

Just curious since I’ve never tried it either, but figured one line is better than two. ;)

Yes, because the default settings are the best in 99% of circumstances. That's why they're the default.

To be clear, the "latency" that the lonelycoder was talking about is the time it takes to resolve a host name through DNS. This is nothing to do with "latency" or "ping" that gamers talk about. That is something completely different.
I was reading the whole thing wrong lmaoooo

Did you ever test:
Code:
pc_replace “no-negcache” “neg-ttl=3600” $CONFIG

Just curious since I’ve never tried it either, but figured one line is better than two. ;)
I have not tested pc_replace because my assumption was that it would edit a line rather than delete a line or add a line.

One more thing tho should I let my ps4 use the routers dns or would I switch to the wan dns?
One more thing tho should I let my ps4 use the routers dns or would I switch to the wan dns? @ColinTaylor
And the wan dns is 75.75.75.75 75.75.76.76 so bacially should I let it use my routers dns which is 192.168.50.1 or should I let it use the wan dns (connect it directly to the internet) also wouldn’t connecting it directly to the internet reduce latency?

And the wan dns is 75.75.75.75 75.75.76.76 so bacially should I let it use my routers dns which is 192.168.50.1 or should I let it use the wan dns (connect it directly to the internet) also wouldn’t connecting it directly to the internet reduce latency?

Use the router's DNS in your use case - it's fine...

LAN client Comcast DNS: Same latency as router for first lookup, same latency for subsequent lookups
LAN client router DNS: Same latency as router for first lookup, subsequent lookups much lower latency until TTL expires

So to summarize:
1) WAN DNS Setting: Leave what you have or use Automatic which I believe would be the same on Comcast
2) If using it, do likewise for IPv6
3) LAN DNS servers: Leave blank and enable "Advertise router's IP in addition to user-specified DNS". Leave "Forward local domain queries to upstream DNS" set to No.
4) Optional: Intercept DNS requests and serve locally by enabling DNS-based Filtering in Global Filter Mode "Router". Clear the contents of the three custom entries to avoid confusion.
5) Optional: If JFFS enabled, enable DNS negative caching to substantially reduce upstream lookups and serve locally.
Create and chmod 755 script /jffs/scripts/dnsmasq.postconf contents below:
#!/bin/sh
CONFIG=$1
source /usr/sbin/helper.sh
pc_delete "no-negcache" $CONFIG
pc_append "neg-ttl=3600" $CONFIG
I’m sorry @EmeraldDeer but I’m not that knowledgeable in creating scripts so can you pls show me from beginning to end how to create that script from step #5. If you can, can you pls make it to where I can just copy and paste it.

So in order to have this setup which in theory would be beneficial for gaming because of less latency which is what I need bc I’m a professional gamer would you fill out 75.75.75.75 & 75.75.76.76 in the WAN section and in the LAN/DHCP you would also fill out 75.75.75.75/75.75.76.76
Mind the advice in previous posts.
Then be aware that if you populate the WAN DNS Setting in /WAN/Internet Connection on your router, all requests will go to those Servers and Diversion will be outmaneuvered.
For Diversion to work, leave WAN DNS Setting to default (Connect to DNS Server automatically) and only populate /LAN/DHCP Server/
- DNS Server 1 and DNS Server 2 fields if you must.

Edit, my bad, disregard my comment.

Last edited:
I’m sorry @EmeraldDeer but I’m not that knowledgeable in creating scripts so can you pls show me from beginning to end how to create that script from step #5. If you can, can you pls make it to where I can just copy and paste it.
Code:
cd /jffs/scripts
touch dnsmasq.postconf
chmod 755 dnsmasq.postconf
{Copy script into buffer}
vi dnsmasq.postconf
i
{paste copy buffer}
{Escape key}
:wq
service restart_dnsmasq

Mind the advice in previous posts.
Then be aware that if you populate the WAN DNS Setting in /WAN/Internet Connection on your router, all requests will go to those Servers and Diversion will be outmaneuvered.
For Diversion to work, leave WAN DNS Setting to default (Connect to DNS Server automatically) and only populate /LAN/DHCP Server/
- DNS Server 1 and DNS Server 2 fields if you must.
I’m not sure I understand how the WAN DNS would circumvent Diversion. Only the LAN DHCP or DNSFilter could circumvent Diversion.

I’m not sure I understand how the WAN DNS would circumvent Diversion. Only the LAN DHCP or DNSFilter could circumvent Diversion.
It's a beautiful day in La-la land.
Thanks, ignore that.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!