What's new

What does "WAN DNS Setting" do?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Code:
cd /jffs/scripts
touch dnsmasq.postconf
chmod 755 dnsmasq.postconf
{Copy script into buffer}
vi dnsmasq.postconf
i
{paste copy buffer}
{Escape key}
:wq
service restart_dnsmasq
One more thing, under DNSFilter it provides me with an option to filter devices would I need to do that or no?

One more thing, under DNSFilter it provides me with an option to filter devices would I need to do that or no?
That is 4) on my list

So would I fill out the LAN DNS servers or no?
No, the LAN DNS servers direct all your clients to use those servers to resolve your DNS.
In most cases this would be an external server like Google or Cloudfare. You really don't want them to resolve everything your local clients ask to resolve.
Use the WAN DNS setting to do that.

So I used the instructions you gave me and I’m killing faster in call of duty but ppl are now killing me faster it’s weird. It’s their anyway I can contact u other than this site? @EmeraldDeer
The phrase "git gud" comes to mind ;-) (off-topic but I can't see how DNS would possibly affect how quickly you die in a game - unless the bullets are using DNS to locate your player of course :p)

The phrase "git gud" comes to mind ;-) (off-topic but I can't see how DNS would possibly affect how quickly you die in a game - unless the bullets are using DNS to locate your player of course :p)
Call of duty is a weird game. I’m already good lol I make money out of the game but trust people are killing me way faster now.

Also what do these logs mean exactly. Only have been getting them after I installed the script.

Attachments

• 851725D6-1CDB-487B-8CBA-62F5CCF80A83.png
    851725D6-1CDB-487B-8CBA-62F5CCF80A83.png
    295.9 KB · Views: 463
So I used the instructions you gave me and I’m killing faster in call of duty but ppl are now killing me faster it’s weird. It’s their anyway I can contact u other than this site? @EmeraldDeer
I handed you what I consider an ideal DNS configuration on a simple, error-free silver platter.
You have responded with:
1) A knowledge and skill level below which is reasonable for making modifications to custom firmware (edit a script, delete a file)
2) False accusations (gave you the wrong information)
3) Magical thinking (better DNS results in quicker killing and getting killed in a video game)
So can you contact me? That's gonna be a hard pass. This is my last communication to you. Good luck.

The phrase "git gud" comes to mind ;-)

Code:
merlin@ubuntu-dev:~/amng.private/release/src/router$ git gud
git: 'gud' is not a git command. See 'git --help'.

The most similar command is
    add

So to summarize:
1) WAN DNS Setting: Leave what you have or use Automatic which I believe would be the same on Comcast
2) If using it, do likewise for IPv6
3) LAN DNS servers: Leave blank and enable "Advertise router's IP in addition to user-specified DNS". Leave "Forward local domain queries to upstream DNS" set to No.
4) Optional: Intercept DNS requests and serve locally by enabling DNS-based Filtering in Global Filter Mode "Router". Clear the contents of the three custom entries to avoid confusion.
5) Optional: If JFFS enabled, enable DNS negative caching to substantially reduce upstream lookups and serve locally.
Create and chmod 755 script /jffs/scripts/dnsmasq.postconf contents below:
#!/bin/sh
CONFIG=$1
source /usr/sbin/helper.sh
pc_delete "no-negcache" $CONFIG
pc_append "neg-ttl=3600" $CONFIG

Hi !

Please could you explain me this point :

"
5) Optional: If JFFS enabled, enable DNS negative caching to substantially reduce upstream lookups and serve locally.
#!/bin/sh
CONFIG=$1
"
--------------------

I use JFFS with USB Key on my router.
Should I create a file on my usb key called for example dns_cache.sh and paste into this file this lines :

#!/bin/sh
CONFIG=$1

When router is powered on it will apply the config ?

Sorry but I begin !

Hi !

Please could you explain me this point :

"
#!/bin/sh
CONFIG=$1
"
--------------------

I use JFFS with USB Key on my router.
Should I create a file on my usb key called for example dns_cache.sh and paste into this file this lines :

#!/bin/sh
CONFIG=$1

When router is powered on it will apply the config ?

Sorry but I begin !
The script must be /jffs/scripts/dnsmasq.postconf
It will exist on the router, not the usb drive
It will be executed on every boot of the router (and possibly every recycle of dnsmasq)

Are any of the DNS security features necessary and do they slow down gaming traffic?

Thanks

Unless the game is constantly reconnecting to different hostnames then DNS settings should not have any effect once connected and playing.
Personally, I have DNSSEC turned on, and am also using DoT via AdGuardHome hosted on a separate LAN server. Pointing my DHCP DNS to AdGuard and left my routers WAN DNS pointing to the ISP (should rarely, if ever, be used).

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!