What's new

what gives?port forwarding...........

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Indi

Occasional Visitor
I run a master server from a HDD,set as removable in bios,works perfect,all gaming servers connect to it share data etc,website also works.
To achieve this I use xampp,also on the same HDD.
Hard wired into RT-AC5300 and given a static IP within the network and as said works fine with no problems.

BUT

If I boot up the PC with the HDD disabled,wait for bootup to finish then enable the HDD.
No data gets 'forwarded/exchanged' and website is not online.

Where is it failing?
Is there a service that fails to start once HDD is enabled again?

Thanks

This doesn't sound like a networking problem but a problem with your server's OS or software. Look in the server logs for clues.

This doesn't sound like a networking problem but a problem with your server's OS or software. Look in the server logs for clues.
Sorry,bad choice of words.
Master database may be better?

Normal PC,win10x64
the gaming servers point to my IP
xampp and database/forum/website etc run on my pc from the HDD

normal MO is....
boot up
start xampp,start database
wait for signs of activity in db commands window

But as said if HDD is disabled when pc boots up nothing works
xampp & db seem to run fine just there's just no communication from the internet.

only difference is whether HDD is enabled or disabled on boot up

I think you'll have to describe in more detail what your setup is. Gaming servers - hosting games? Connections from where (LAN or internet), what ports. How are you forwarding ports, fixed or UPnP? This still sounds like a PC issue TBH.

all info is above your post,I think I chose the words 'port forwarding' to hastily.

something doesn't get started/initiated (protocol,service?) upon boot when the HDD is disabled.
and enabling the HDD after boot does not start/initiate this thing?
using Merlins FW but dont think its anyway related?
only thing I can think of,coz it just baffles me really....

its related to info from the outside world and the HDD

I think you'll have to describe in more detail what your setup is. Gaming servers - hosting games? Connections from where (LAN or internet), what ports. How are you forwarding ports, fixed or UPnP? This still sounds like a PC issue TBH.

xampp and the login server emulator are portable,they run from their folder,I don't need to install them.
WAN has fixed IP,PC has fixed IP,HDD has assigned drive letter as all other drives do too,so even missing drives the other drives still get the same letter.
HDD has xampp,db and game files on it,steam,origin,oculus etc etc
Only accessed when I start a game from it or xampp,db server etc

another longshot.......

if xampp/db were running and working fine when I made/make the portforwarding rule would the rule recognize where that rule 'went?' ?
or that that HDD was present when the rule was made?

or is router checking ports with xampp on boot,doesn't find/get a reply so assigns xampps ports (80,81,443) to something else?

another longshot.......

if xampp/db were running and working fine when I made/make the portforwarding rule would the rule recognize where that rule 'went?' ?
or that that HDD was present when the rule was made?

or is router checking ports with xampp on boot,doesn't find/get a reply so assigns xampps ports (80,81,443) to something else?
No. If you are creating port forwarding rules using WAN - Virtual Server / Port Forwarding they are completely independent of anything you do on the PC. Check the rules have been created properly at System Log - Port Forwarding.

found in the router.......

WAN - Virtual Server / Port ForwardingWAN - Virtual Server / Port Forwarding
"When your network's firewall is disabled and you set 80 as the HTTP server's port range for your WAN setup, then your http server/web server would be in conflict with RT-AC5300's web user interface."

Possibly?
xampp uses port 80 and 443,could windows do a quick check when its booting up?
xampp doesn't start until I start it,maybe the router is checking for port 80 when pc boots?
anyone using port 80....yes me says xampp.....pc boots up with the rule working.
gets no reply then it 'rules' that port 80 is for itself.....
There is also a similar thing for port 443 for the routers AI cloud,am not using

rules seem fine
Screenshot.png

What I have found is that xampp doesn't open port 80 if its not attached/enabled at boot.
seems to run fine,just port 80 isn't open?

rules seem fine
View attachment 36525

What I have found is that xampp doesn't open port 80 if its not attached/enabled at boot.
seems to run fine,just port 80 isn't open?
This is a PC issue and nothing to do with the router. You will be better served by asking your question in a forum dedicated to your PC software.

This is a PC issue and nothing to do with the router. You will be better served by asking your question in a forum dedicated to your PC software.

is it windows firewall related?
I delete the 3 rules,apache/mysql/fesl
try again,firewall window pops up,allow/allow/allow
everything works
pull drive out,put drive back in
no firewall window warning and things dont work
delete rules
try again,firewall window pops up,allowx3,all working

checking the rule I see nothing that would single out this behaviour
except windows also allowed UDP whereas I only ruled TCP in the router