What's new

What happened to RT-AX86u?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

gogreen1

Regular Contributor
I see that this router is out of stock in some places and not available elsewhere. Where it is available, it's $50 more than just a few weeks ago. Did this router get upgraded with a newer version?

The unofficial Covid Tax, that's why. Basically, the prices of most routers - especially the AX ones, irrespective of manufacturer - have risen over the past year or so, and continue to rise. My specific observation from Europe, but it's a global trend.

Not yet. Still the best Asus router to buy, overall.

I see that this router is out of stock in some places and not available elsewhere. Where it is available, it's $50 more than just a few weeks ago. Did this router get upgraded with a newer version?

Micro Center retail stores in the US have it for $245.

OE

Just picked one up last week at Amazon. Their stock situation is changing frequently on this router.

Last edited:
wish I had got one two weeks ago. I am considering an ax88 since they are about the same money and more available.

It's been sold out or out of stock off and on everywhere since it's initial release last summer. Don't worry though because you can find it restocked all the time on many of the web sites. Check Amazon for their own inventory every day or every few days since they restock it very often. You shouldn't have to pay more than the regular suggested retail of $250 USD for it so don't. Be patient for the AX86U. It's definitely worth it. It's the one to get.

It's been sold out or out of stock off and on everywhere since it's initial release last summer. Don't worry though because you can find it restocked all the time on many of the web sites. Check Amazon for their own inventory every day or every few days since they restock it very often. You shouldn't have to pay more than the regular suggested retail of $250 USD for it so don't. Be patient for the AX86U. It's definitely worth it. It's the one to get.
“Check Amazon for their own inventory every day or every few days since they restock it very often.”

Yes, exactly. Good advice. That’s what I did and noticed the same thing.

I normally get my networking hardware from here I find them cheaper then other distributers. ASUS RT-AX88U AX6000 Dual Band 802.11ax WIFI 6 Router with MU-MIMO - NBN Ready | Wireless 1
Asus RT-AX86U AX5700 Dual Band WiFi 6 Gaming Router WiFi 6 802.11ax 2.5G Port AiMesh | Wireless 1

Expect electronic devices availability to remain problematic throughout 2021. It's no longer just a GPU issue, supply issues are affecting a lot of other devices. The automobile industry is the latest victim, as production lines have had to be shut down due to lack of availability on electronic parts required as part of modern cars.

Expect electronic devices availability to remain problematic throughout 2021. It's no longer just a GPU issue, supply issues are affecting a lot of other devices. The automobile industry is the latest victim, as production lines have had to be shut down due to lack of availability on electronic parts required as part of modern cars.
Also does not help for mega ships to block main traffic channels. Wonder how many Asus routers are on the Ever Given?

Also does not help for mega ships to block main traffic channels. Wonder how many Asus routers are on the Ever Given?
None that is heading to NA. Its destination is the Netherlands.

Last edited:
Wouldn't the Pacific shipping routes be much shorter from Asia to the Americas?
Perhaps, but sometimes the crew needs to work in a bit of a vacation... a little 'chill time' if you know what I mean.

I believe the path of Ever Given before it stuck describes well what happened:

Untitled.jpg

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!