What's new

What is your 1Gbit AX 5Ghz 2x2 80Mhz Speeds?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ViPPaH

Occasional Visitor
Hey all!
I have had a hard time to come by Wifi speed tests of AX 2x2 80 Mhz devices with relatively recent firmware. Most tests are old or 160 Mhz device. It would be really nice to have some comparing speeds of what the best performance could be.

I have recently bought a RAX80 router and been looking around the internet to compare wifi speeds. I feel that the speeds I am getting are "slow" compared to what would/could be possible. Here are some tests I have done and also one very interesting test I found on Youtube.

If you guys have some 1Gbits speed tests available for mobile devices on any AX router, please let me know.

My RAX80 wired 940/940 Mbps 2020-05-05
Test: speedtest.net app
iPhone 11 pro Max 801/621 Mbps MU-MIMO disabled
iPhone 11 pro Max 784/644 Mbps MU-MIMO enabled

My R7800 wired 940/940 Mbps 2019-09-23
iPhone 11 pro Max 648/624

Youtubers Internet-Box 3 (BCM63158) Swisscom 1 Gbits ISP 2019-10-11
iPhone 11 pro Max 851/600 Mbps

L&LD RT-AX88U 1Gbits 2020-05-05
Test: Edge Chromium fast.com
Samsung Note 10+ 750/x Mbps (peak 875/x)
Test: fast.com
Laptop AX200 160 Mhz 950/950 Mbps

What speed do you guys get with this kind of setup and how come BCM63158 wrecks my RAX80 DL speed?

Last edited:
https://www.duckware.com/tech/wifi-in-the-us.html
Explains what to expect with different WiFi standards and clients.
Thanks for the interesting link!
The idea of the post is to get some different real-life input and comparisons. Since for instance just my router and another BCM Swisscom router differed 100 Mbit on the same iPhone, it would be very interesting to see if we got some speeds from people with different router models.

it would be very interesting to see if we got some speeds from people with different router models.

Results will be affected by local WiFi interference, current ISP load, number of active WiFi clients, distance to the router, etc. Too many variables. The differences may be well over 100Mbps even with exactly the same routers and devices.

Results will be affected by local WiFi interference, current ISP load, number of active WiFi clients, distance to the router, etc. Too many variables. The differences may be well over 100Mbps even with exactly the same routers and devices.
Yes all those variables comes into play. Even tilting my phone 90 degress will change 100mbps. However if you get the max speeds recorded by a lot of people with the same and different routers you will get a very good overview of the max speed capacity of the router. For instance I can’t even get 850 with iperf on a lan connection.
So if you have an ax mobile device and an ax router, perhaps you would like to share your best result :)

I get about 460/20 on Spectrum Ultra on both wired and on my iPhone 11 Pro Max. On my RAX80 I’ve noticed that enabling MU-MIMO in advanced wireless settings causes wireless speeds to decrease.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On my 1Gbps symmetrical Fibre connection and the RT-AX88U from one room and one floor away (about 25 feet) on my Samsung Note 10 Plus right now, I can hit 740Mbps on fast.com and when the test finishes, still over 500Mbps. No point testing maximum up speeds on these low powered, handheld devices. :)

With an AX200 adaptor card in my laptop (Lenovo Thinkpad) and three rooms away and 2 walls (about 40 feet) I can hit up to 1Gbps on fast.com and when the test finishes it is still indicating just under 750Mbps, average.

The AC capable devices are less than half those speeds at even closer distances and/or fewer obstacles in the way.

AX sure has been an upgrade for me. :)

I get about 460/20 on Spectrum Ultra on both wired and on my iPhone 11 Pro Max. On my RAX80 I’ve noticed that enabling MU-MIMO in advanced wireless settings causes wireless speeds to decrease.

Thanks for reply! However your ISP connection will be the limit here. If you wanna try and max it out you can try Iperf from another device. Your ISP connection is not 1 Gbps i presume?

On my 1Gbps symmetrical Fibre connection and the RT-AX88U from one room and one floor away (about 25 feet) on my Samsung Note 10 Plus right now, I can hit 740Mbps on fast.com and when the test finishes, still over 500Mbps. No point testing maximum up speeds on these low powered, handheld devices. :)

With an AX200 adaptor card in my laptop (Lenovo Thinkpad) and three rooms away and 2 walls (about 40 feet) I can hit up to 1Gbps on fast.com and when the test finishes it is still indicating just under 750Mbps, average.

The AC capable devices are less than half those speeds at even closer distances and/or fewer obstacles in the way.

AX sure has been an upgrade for me. :)
Thanks for reply! I wonder if you would get even higher speeds if you were closer :)
I added your speeds to the first post if that's ok with you.

Thanks for reply! However your ISP connection will be the limit here. If you wanna try and max it out you can try Iperf from another device. Your ISP connection is not 1 Gbps i presume?

Correct. I have a measly 400/20 advertised connection from Spectrum. [emoji16] I posted because I experimented with the MU-MIMO setting (which is off by default), because on the surface it sounded like it would speed things up when multiple users were connected, however it slowed things down on a single connection.

BTW, have you updated to 1.0.2.76? I’m still on 1.0.1.70 because it’s been working relatively well if I stay clear from a neighbors 5Ghz network.

Correct. I have a measly 400/20 advertised connection from Spectrum. [emoji16] I posted because I experimented with the MU-MIMO setting (which is off by default), because on the surface it sounded like it would speed things up when multiple users were connected, however it slowed things down on a single connection.

BTW, have you updated to 1.0.2.76? I’m still on 1.0.1.70 because it’s been working relatively well if I stay clear from a neighbors 5Ghz network.

I have the latest 1.0.2.76 and I have not tried without MU-MIMO setting yet, but I will try it out and see if there is a noticeable difference.

Thanks for reply! I wonder if you would get even higher speeds if you were closer :)
I added your speeds to the first post if that's ok with you.

Of course, include them. But the slower speeds are more 'real-world'. :)

For clarity, maybe mention that the numbers you included in post 1 are the maximum shown during the real-world tests I did. These speeds were not sustainable.

At closer distances and no obstructions, the Note 10 Plus can indicate over 875Mbps 'peak', but is still around 750Mbps when the test finishes.

The AX200 equipped laptop can almost match wired speeds (1Gbps up/down with 0/1 ms unloaded latency and always less than 18ms loaded latency) with regards to the throughput (when the test finishes, it can usually show a 950Mbps average). The latency is what distinguishes it from a wired connection though with variability at close distances and no obstructions of up to 5ms unloaded latency to a loaded latency of up to 250ms depending on the WiFi activity around it. :)

I tried disabling MU-MIMO and got slightly faster DL speed. Overall it seemed to peak higher too. Updated in the first post.

Of course, include them. But the slower speeds are more 'real-world'. :)

For clarity, maybe mention that the numbers you included in post 1 are the maximum shown during the real-world tests I did. These speeds were not sustainable.

At closer distances and no obstructions, the Note 10 Plus can indicate over 875Mbps 'peak', but is still around 750Mbps when the test finishes.

The AX200 equipped laptop can almost match wired speeds (1Gbps up/down with 0/1 ms unloaded latency and always less than 18ms loaded latency) with regards to the throughput (when the test finishes, it can usually show a 950Mbps average). The latency is what distinguishes it from a wired connection though with variability at close distances and no obstructions of up to 5ms unloaded latency to a loaded latency of up to 250ms depending on the WiFi activity around it. :)

Cool, thx for reply! I will put full test run results in. In comparing I suppose the sustained for a few seconds is more interesting IRL for eg. buffer a video or other stuff.
What app do you use for Samsung test?

I just have to say that I am still amazed how Swisscom still is the best perfomer lol. Probably much cheaper SOC.

I don't use apps. :)

Edge chromium: fast.com. :)

Is there anyone with a Qualcomm based router that can do a test? RAX120, Amplifi Alien or RT-AX89X

Max Ive seen with my Dell 7577 (AX200) with transfers to NAS is around 900-940 Mbps sustained HT160 via my old R7800, its limited by the gig ethernet connection but could probably go a little higher without that bottleneck, probably close to the RAX80 honestly if it had a multi gig port. The RAX80 and RAX120 using my laptop testing to router USB storage (Samsung T5, since both of these routers have fast storage performance for testing directly) hit 960-1,120 Mbps sustained and sometimes peak for first few seconds at 1200 Mbps (RAX80) and 1360 Mbps (RAX120).

I'm usually ~12-15ft away with 2 walls in between during these tests. I test to my NAS or router USB storage for benchmarks as my internet is only ~330/11.

Also do note that not everyone will get comparable speeds to each other as differing testing environments can result in major differences in results; router placement and home construction (ie wood vs concrete partitions etc) can have major impacts among other things such as interference from neighbors and other devices (ie soundbars or cell boosters on 5Ghz). Also depending on antenna layout one router may perform better in some placements vs another router.

Last edited:
Max Ive seen with my Dell 7577 (AX200) with transfers to NAS is around 900-940 Mbps sustained HT160 via my old R7800, its limited by the gig ethernet connection but could probably go a little higher without that bottleneck, probably close to the RAX80 honestly if it had a multi gig port. The RAX80 and RAX120 using my laptop testing to router USB storage (Samsung T5, since both of these routers have fast storage performance for testing directly) hit 960-1,120 Mbps sustained and sometimes peak for first few seconds at 1200 Mbps (RAX80) and 1360 Mbps (RAX120).

I'm usually ~12-15ft away with 2 walls in between during these tests. I test to my NAS or router USB storage for benchmarks as my internet is only ~330/11.

Also do note that not everyone will get comparable speeds to each other as differing testing environments can result in major differences in results; router placement and home construction (ie wood vs concrete partitions etc) can have major impacts among other things such as interference from neighbors and other devices (ie soundbars or cell boosters on 5Ghz). Also depending on antenna layout one router may perform better in some placements vs another router.
Thx for post! Yes there are a lot of variables when it comes to wifi.
What speeds do you get when you run a 80Mhz device? I am interested in those kind of devices because a lot of people have an AX phone at hand. Even though you don't have 1gbit connection you can run Iperf instead perhaps.

Also since you seem to have both RAX80 and RAX120 which one seems faster?

My 7577 on HT80 if I recall got around 600-640 Mbps sustained on both the RAX80 and 120. Closer to 600 Most of the time. The RAX120 is slightly faster in most cases on HT80 especially more so on HT160.

Here's an old post of mine from when I upgraded to the AX200, it has the RAX120 and RAX80, granted the RAX120's HT160 results showed much higher upload than download at the time due to a SMB optimization issue in the firmware when using USB drives:
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/intel-ax200-netgear-rax80-rax120-test-results.56389/