What's new

What is Your Internet speed?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are only moderate internet users at home. Apparently, Wi-Fi modem will affect the speed slightly but for most people the convenience outweighs this drawback. On most applications, there will be no discernible difference.:)

AT&T scrUverse

2255930373.png

Internet only, $55 a month, about twice what it should be.....:mad:

re the above... wow. I complain about TimeWarner Cable Modem, at $45/mo, with 15/1.

From what I read, my price/speed is well below the mean in the US.
But with these unregulated monopolies (cable tv/internet), what recourse do we have???

(PS: don't even whisper the alternative of U-Verse. Total technical debacle, costs more, get less, and you have to deal with the real evil empire).

Hello friends i am using 2mb internet speed and this is good intenet connection to make fast to my internet and my transfer rate speed is 225 and i think this is the best speed to use internet browsing and downloading every thing...

Still jamming on ATT LTE iPad3 here in San Diego... screenshot here is during busy-hour... ping time is a bit long, but look at the uplink :cool:

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 378
I have a few games running off FB active but this what I get off my main gigabit system for 50d and 10u... right now on 1.24.13 - 11:15pm EST

Attachments

• 209487572.png
    209487572.png
    51.4 KB · Views: 418
DOCSIS 3.0 - gotta love it - and why GIGe WAN ports are getting more important :)

DOCSIS 3 would be great.
But here, TimeWarner (monopoly) cable charges way too much.
Too much even for 15/1 on DOCSIS 2.

Without Competition, there's no (price or technical) excellence.

DOCSIS 3 would be great.
But here, TimeWarner (monopoly) cable charges way too much.
Too much even for 15/1 on DOCSIS 2.

Without Competition, there's no (price or technical) excellence.

How much is it? Sometimes what you need might cost more than what you want to spend.

How much is it? Sometimes what you need might cost more than what you want to spend.
I don't need faster ISP speed. I want it.
I pay over $150/mo to Time Warner's monopoly for HD cable without any pricey sports or movie channels. In that bundle too is their digital phone (far better/cheaper than AT&T), and 15/1 internet.

I recall looking and to update the speed to (I assume) DOCSIS 3, it would be like $40 more. I think they believe that residential users will go for this only if they use it for SOHO and get reimbursed. I don't know many/any who'd pay that premium for faster uplink speeds. The 15 down is just fine.

My alternatives are DirectTV (satellite) and that's a no-go on price, and the TWC bundle of phone/ISP.
Or the evil empire AT&T's U-Verse which is just silly, given our underground, 20 year old copper wire, home to VRAD which is semi-close as the crow flies, and 3x that as the wires run. But trumping that, even if U-Verse actually worked here, I'd not ever again give a penny to AT&T (SBC renamed).

Last edited:
subscribed 12Mbps down and 1.2Mbps up and get from 11.5-22Mbps down and 765Kbps-2.3Mbps up. I pay 55/mo for it

I had TimeWarner ISP before the bundling (it was called RoadRunner). It was $45/mo for about 10/1. About $10 more if you didn't take their cable TV service.

So now, that $45 is stirred into the soup of the TV/Phone/Cable TV bundle.
I think their ISP price vs. speed is higher than Cox and others. It is reliable though.

More for me with the 50 down and 10 up and even-though they give me $10 off a month or $120 still the speed is pretty good. I am still waiting on 30 down and 5 up as my needs for the faster speed not worth it. Since I've fixed the box outside to only work with internet and not have their CATV and Digital Phone the Internet is much quicker. Anyway most I know are going down to the min for internet just to keep the expensive CATV a float! Digital phone can be ditched for your cell phone if your on a contract cell phone service.

Home FiOS for about $120/month including TV:
2486500258.png

T-Mobile's Monthly4G for $30/month:
361045987.png

What's the rated speed for d/u and your in the VA area I see that's different than here in the south. Cell Phone service 4G LTE doesn't cover where I am. Towers need to be upgraded. But not bad for your cell phone.

What's the rated speed for d/u and your in the VA area I see that's different than here in the south. Cell Phone service 4G LTE doesn't cover where I am. Towers need to be upgraded. But not bad for your cell phone.

For FiOS, it's 75/35, and for the Mako on T-Mobile, I believe it's 42.2/14.4 currently. I'm being told that T-Mo's Band 4 LTE network should be live around here in about six weeks, so ... that should get a massive upgrade.

I live in an ex-AT&T (regulated era), so I don't think we'll see FIOS here. Sigh.
Plus, utilities are underground.

So, cable modem (TWC) is what I have, and DOCSIS 3 is a costly increase in monthly billing.

One more, this is the FreedomPOP hotspot, running on Sprint's WiMax network, without any rated speeds:
453938517.png

Max I can get here is over 105 d and 20 up, but I am not paying over $200 a month for that extra feature. Right now 50 d and 10 up with some modifications outside plus the direct D3 makes it near 70 d and 12 up. That's pushing it.

P2P is becoming a thing of the past now I might reduce mine back to 30 d and 5 up to save on the extras in cost to keep the current internet speeds flowing. Just way to expensive here per year!

Just way to expensive here per year!

Ah yes, monopoly power, 'tis a bitch.

We were stuck with Cox, a company that lives in a pre-Marconi time bubble, for over a decade until at long last FiOS rolled out last year. We went from paying ~$165 for 25/3, 250GB-monthly cap connection, SDVed into 1990-era gif quality "HD" channels, no HBO and a refusal to follow the FCC's directives on Cablecards to $115 for a 75/35, uncapped connection with actual HD channels, including HBO and total support for Cablecards.

Here's a link to what I had to do for five years of HTPCing to watch TV on Cox. In 2011, I filed a complaint with the FCC because they hadn't rolled out Cablecard self-installs. Three months after that, Cox finally offered us a Cisco STA1520 which was so badly misconfigured that not only did it it not support the mandatory 6-simultaneous streams, but tuned the requested channel correctly less than 20percent of the time. They also increased our price by $15 as punishment for using "unsupported" equipment. A few months later, we were the first family to get FiOS in our development and that was the end of the crap from Cox.

So yes, it's expensive, but it's because someone in your local government got rich, not because it is costly to provide service in a major metro area. Follow the money trail - you'll find the person responsible for your bills.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!