What's new

What moca adapters can be manually configured for frontier LAN settings (1025-1350/mhz) ?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

and changed the Moca at Ont and downstairs office to 25Gw. Reset the ONT and repowered on only downstairs eero and moca also set at 25Gw.
Did you power cycle each FCA252 whose configuration switch was changed?

And ONLY the ONT and primary router FCA252 adapters are now set to “25GW”?

Do the two MoCA WAN adapters indicate a successful MoCA link?

There may be some magic that needs to happen to reset the ONT, for it to recognize a change in the primary router and dish out a WAN IP via DHCP.

I go upstairs and plug in moca at 25Gw and eero and it gets wired internet.
It’s unclear exactly what the configuration is that’s being tested.

You first need to ensure that only the two “WAN” FCA252 adapters are configured for “25GW” … with the others powered-off, for now, at least until you get the primary router actually working.

It would probably be best to just power everything off; then get the two “WAN” adapters set to “25GW” then powered-on; at which point you could power-up the ONT; followed by the primary router, once the ONT has booted.

It’s unclear exactly what the configuration is that’s being tested.

You first need to ensure that only the two “WAN” FCA252 adapters are configured for “25GW” … with the others powered-off, for now, at least until you get the primary router actually working.

It would probably be best to just power everything off; then get the two “WAN” adapters set to “25GW” then powered-on; at which point you could power-up the ONT; followed by the primary router, once the ONT has booted.
I really appreciate your help and info!

Yeah that’s what I tried to do with intial test. I set ont moca to 25gw and downstairs moca to 25gw. All upstairs eero and moca unplugged. Then I power cycled ont, eero and moca downstairs and couldn’t get the downstairs eero to recognize the internet wan. Eero would just have a red light.

Last resort was powering on upstairs moca and it got online.

This has been the weirdest issue for now as I prefer my downstairs eero as my primary router.

Do you think possibly a non moca compatible splitter at my coax splitter could cause this behavior? I ordered one from Amazon as the one in the house is an old one from the previous owner.

I also ordered two stream beam moca devices too for the eventual moca lan per your diagram. It looks like I need two mocas one lan one wan at the primary router based on your diagram.

Last resort was powering on upstairs moca and it got online.
Could you try moving the working FCA252 “25GW” adapter and eero to the preferred location for your primary router, and see if they still connect?

‘gist: trying to identify whether it’s a coax plant or authorization issue. The following bit makes me wonder:

Steps to take when exchanging your router​

Did you receive a replacement router? Here are some important tips and steps to take when setting up your new equipment.
  1. Locate your existing router and unplug it from its power supply for at least one hour.
  2. Make a note of where the cables are connected.
  3. Move each cable from the existing router to the new router one at a time. Your existing router may look a little different.
  4. Connect your new router to power using the new power cord. If it has a power button, press it to turn it on.

Last edited:
Could you trying moving the working FCA252 “25GW” adapter and eero to the preferred location for your primary router, and see if they still connect?

‘gist: trying to identify whether it’s a coax plant or authorization issue. The following bit makes me wonder:

Steps to take when exchanging your router​

Did you receive a replacement router? Here are some important tips and steps to take when setting up your new equipment.
  1. Locate your existing router and unplug it from its power supply for at least one hour.
  2. Make a note of where the cables are connected.
  3. Move each cable from the existing router to the new router one at a time. Your existing router may look a little different.
  4. Connect your new router to power using the new power cord. If it has a power button, press it to turn it on.

That is a great debugging step that I haven't though of doing. Thanks!
I tried swapping the FCA252 adapters but no matter which adapter I used the upstairs bedroom eero6+ would work but not the downstairs.
I haven't tried moving the eero6+ downstairs to test though.

I'm not moved in yet to test tonight but I will go over to the new home tomorrow to test this by moving the working eero 6+ and 25gw FCA252 downstairs to see if that connects.

Just some more information, there was a point in time when the Frontier installer first got internet running, it was using the downstairs coax->FCA252->eero pro 6e.
Later on when he tried to get a 2nd MoCa installed upstairs with a 2nd eero, he noticed the MoCa light wasn't turning on on the FCA252. He had to go to the coax splitter box near the garage and shuffle some coax wires at the splitter to get the upstairs MoCa working.
I wonder if he somehow changing coax cables around at the splitter caused my downstairs coax to not work as WAN internet source. I didn't check until days later once he got the upstairs hardwired via MoCa that my downstairs eero was on wireless connection and no longer wired.

Also the interesting thing is the downstairs eero with the moca ethernet plugged in, shows it has "Master Bedroom" (name of my upstairs primary router) plugged in port 2 instead of internet (WAN).

I haven't tried moving the eero6+ downstairs to test though.
Yeah, swapping the adapters wasn’t really the point. It’s the router (working eero) that is important.

In my cable Internet (Comcast) setup, there’s a similar issue. If changing routers, you need to power cycle the modem, sometimes even leaving it off for a few minutes to trigger the system to issue a new DHCP WAN IP to the new router.

So in an attempt to workaround not knowing how to trigger that in your ONT (unless you’re ready to leave the ONT and routers powered-off for “at least one hour”), just move the eero currently perceived as the router to where you want the router. (It *would* be useful to figure out how to swap routers, at some point.)

but I will go over to the new home tomorrow to test this
Oh. Leaving it all powered-off overnight likely would have worked, as well, without the need for moving devices. (overnight > 1 hour 😁)

I wonder if he somehow changing coax cables around at the splitter caused my downstairs coax to not work as WAN internet source.
Possibly. Given this, you’ll definitely want to review how the coax lines are connected, starting with getting each line identified and labeled. Pretty easy to do with terminated cabling and a pair of working MoCA adapters. (see here)

I hadn’t considered this as likely as the router authorization issue because you’d said that the FCA252[25GW] adapter downstairs indicated a successful MoCA link, with only the two “WAN” adapters powered-on.

Yeah, swapping the adapters wasn’t really the point. It’s the router (working eero) that is important.

In my cable Internet (Comcast) setup, there’s a similar issue. If changing routers, you need to power cycle the modem, sometimes even leaving it off for a few minutes to trigger the system to issue a new DHCP WAN IP to the new router.

So in an attempt to workaround not knowing how to trigger that in your ONT (unless you’re ready to leave the ONT and routers powered-off for “at least one hour”), just move the eero currently perceived as the router to where you want the router. (It *would* be useful to figure out how to swap routers, at some point.)

Oh. Leaving it all powered-off overnight likely would have worked, as well, without the need for moving devices. (overnight > 1 hour 😁)

Possibly. Given this, you’ll definitely want to review how the coax lines are connected, starting with getting each line identified and labeled. Pretty easy to do with terminated cabling and a pair of working MoCA adapters. (see here)

I hadn’t considered this as likely as the router authorization issue because you’d said that the FCA252[25GW] adapter downstairs indicated a successful MoCA link, with only the two “WAN” adapters powered-on.
Awesome you have so much helpful information, appreciate your help. I will try out the router swap method first as during one of my tests tonight there was a MoCa light at FCA252[25GW] at the ONT and also the downstairs FCA252[25GW] moca light was on too. Just the Eero pro 6e would not initialize with internet and after power cycling and booting up, would boot to a red light.

This makes me think the coax cable downstairs is still connected and carrying a signal, not just completely disconnected. Hopefully issue is what you theorizing with system not issuing new DHCP WAN IP to my downstairs eero pro 6e.

I'll keep you updated. I never knew I could do coax id-ing with a pair of MoCa adapters. That's a great tip and something I'll do as well so only the needed coax are connected to my splitter. Currently random ones are connected from previous owner.

As a side question, this is my current configuration (or at least what I think is the current config) that the Frontier technician had wired up. Only difference is he had all the FCA252 set at "LAN". Currently I changed it all to "25GW" but it's still working the same as when they were all set as "LAN".

1707200674997.png

From my understanding my current configuration is definitely wrong as it doesn't match your diagram.
Today I ordered and am waiting on a new POE, 2.5 coax splitter and 2 more streambeam 2.5 moca adapters to arrive so I can duplicate your diagram.

But just curious in my current setup, what is the eero pro 6e supposed to be doing at that ??? connection in the diagram above? In my ignorance I had hoped eero pro 6e would get a wired internet connection to get max speeds but it is still communicating as a wireless node. The app does show the eero pro 6e has the upstairs master bedroom signal plugged into the port, I just don't know what that means.

Currently I changed it all to "25GW" but it's still working the same as when they were all set as "LAN".
Only two adapters should be configured with “25GW,” the adapter at the ONT and whichever adapter is at your primary router, connected to its Ethernet WAN port. Anything else can result in system confusion of the likes you’re witnessing.

But just curious in my current setup, what is the eero pro 6e supposed to be doing at that ??? connection in the diagram above? In my ignorance I had hoped eero pro 6e would get a wired internet connection to get max speeds but it is still communicating as a wireless node.
The Pro 6e is connecting as a wireless node because it has no more of a wired path to the LAN port of your primary node (eero gateway) than the fully wireless bottom eero node.

Put the diagrams side by side and work through the differences.
  • The FCA252[25GW] MoCA WAN is strictly a connection between the Ethernet WAN ports of the ONT and primary router. Full stop. (There should can be no other adapter configured to the “25GW” setting.)
  • All your other mesh nodes must be wired downstream of the Ethernet LAN port of your primary router, which is the purpose of the additional MoCA adapter at the router in the example diagram (which includes text detailing the distinct frequencies used for each of the separate MoCA networks). Yes, you have an adapter on-hand that can be installed per requirements, but fat lotta good that does absent the MoCA adapters needed at each of the remote eero nodes.

Only two adapters should be configured with “25GW,” the adapter at the ONT and whichever adapter is at your primary router, connected to its Ethernet WAN port. Anything else can result in system confusion of the likes you’re witnessing.

The Pro 6e is connecting as a wireless node because it has no more of a wired path to the LAN port of your primary node (eero gateway) than the fully wireless bottom eero node.
This makes sense now. My primary router has no LAN port connections without that second MoCa adapter in LAN mode.
I ordered additional MoCa adapters and a splitter so I can replicate your diagram to create a downstream ethernet LAN.

If I need additional ethernet LAN capacity at my primary Eero router and also at Eero routers downstream, would this updated diagram be correct?
Since each Eero only has 2 ports (one occupied by MoCa WAN and MoCa LAN), the second port needs to connect to a switch to allow for more ports? Same setup for both primary router Eero and access point Eeros?

1707205408307.png

Put the diagrams side by side and work through the differences.
  • The FCA252[25GW] MoCA WAN is strictly a connection between the Ethernet WAN ports of the ONT and primary router. Full stop. (There should can be no other adapter configured to the “25GW” setting.)
  • All your other mesh nodes must be wired downstream of the Ethernet LAN port of your primary router, which is the purpose of the additional MoCA adapter at the router in the example diagram (which includes text detailing the distinct frequencies used for each of the separate MoCA networks). Yes, you have an adapter on-hand that can be installed per requirements, but fat lotta good that does absent the MoCA adapters needed at each of the remote eero nodes.

Thank you for the explanation! Once I get all the parts I need I'll let you know if everything works.

edit: Updated diagram. Forgot Screenbeam MoCa at the primary router location in original diagram

Last edited:
Entirely correct.
Awesome thank you for the confirmation! I'll need to get 2 more switches once I move in so I can have ethernet hardwire for my TV, PS5 and PC's.

(3rd eero getting wired, as well?)
Yeah, I plan to have my 3rd Eero at bottom of my diagram to be connected to a screenbeam MoCa as well. I just didn't update my diagram because I was too lazy on paint haha :D

Could you trying moving the working FCA252 “25GW” adapter and eero to the preferred location for your primary router, and see if they still connect?
Just a quick update as I can’t setup my network yet while I wait for delivery.

I did try this test and my upstairs eero which was acting as primary router works downstairs as primary router.

Seems to be the ONT to router affinity and not a coax issue.

This is good to know as when I get all my parts I’ll leave the internet off for an hour first to hopefully get the ONT fully reset. Or worst case I’ll just use my eero 6+ downstairs and move the 6e upstairs.

Just a quick update … I did try this test and my upstairs eero which was acting as primary router works downstairs as primary router. … Seems to be the ONT to router affinity and not a coax issue.
Good deal. Might still be worthwhile getting the coax lines & junction optimized, but this does seem to nail down what’s been the big hurdle.

This is good to know as when I get all my parts I’ll leave the internet off for an hour first to hopefully get the ONT fully reset.

There’s surely some way to avoid that 1-hr delay (calling Frontier to coordinate the change?); might even be worth querying as it’s own thread in the Frontier Reddit sub. I may try to search there. When’s the add’l gear due to arrive?

My concern is when you’ve waited the hour only to learn that those instructions don’t apply, anymore.

Or worst case I’ll just use my eero 6+ downstairs and move the 6e upstairs.
It would definitely be good to get the Pro 6e located where its wireless and 2.5 GbE port can be of best use.

Thanks for the update!

If you can find a way to instruct the working eero router/gateway to release its WAN IP address before disconnection or powering it down for swap-out, that would probably be what’s needed to shorten the suggested 1-hour window. (Thinking the Frontier back-end has a 3600s [1 hour] DHCP lease duration for WAN IPs.)

If you can find a way to instruct the working eero router/gateway to release its WAN IP address before disconnection or powering it down for swap-out, that would probably be what’s needed to shorten the suggested 1-hour window. (Thinking the Frontier back-end has a 3600s [1 hour] DHCP lease duration for WAN IPs.)
Unless something's changed in the last several years, this thread indicates that WAN IP Release isn't available in the eero UI.

(maybe something's changed...)

Unless something's changed in the last several years, this thread indicates that WAN IP Release isn't available in the eero UI.

(maybe something's changed...)
Thanks for the heads up. Your advice with the eero pro 6e being used as my main wireless node makes sense actually.
That works out so my primary router (eero6+ moved from upstairs) is now downstairs at the office. Thankfully I won't need a WAN IP release.

I ordered 2 gigabit switches, 4-way Amphenol MoCA2.5 Coax Splitter, and 2 ScreenBeam Bonded MoCA 2.5 with a 2 coax splitter and a MoCA POE.
Everything arrived except the MoCA POE which will arrive tomorrow evening.

Plan to get everything hooked up on Thursday to see if everything works 🤞. Thanks again for the help and information!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!