What's new

what prevent ASUS ZenWiFi ET8 and ASUS ZenWiFi Pro ET12 to be included in the merlin covered devices?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

arkhane

Occasional Visitor
I know you have some criteria to include new asus routers compatible with merlin.

Just wondering if by chance

ASUS ZenWiFi ET8
ASUS ZenWiFi Pro ET12

will get a chance to be included in the winning list...? To me both seems to be matching the criteria to be included...

The only thing that prevent me to buy on those mesh currently is that they are not in the scope of merlin supported devices...

thks

will get a chance to be included in the winning list...?
I don't have anything to announce right now beside the GT-AX6000 and XT12 on which I am currently working on.

Any more love for the ET8? It's a decent pair with limited memory, but plagued by disconnection issues in an IoT-full house. I run the PR3 release, but that flakes our every few days too.
Please save us from Asus' horrible stale firmware!!

I run the PR3 release

If you mean RC3 - this is not a release, but a beta firmware. It's for testing purposes only, no guarantees. If you have wireless connectivity issues - Asuswrt-Merlin firmware is unlikely to help you. It uses the same closed source drivers as stock Asuswrt. If the product doesn't work as advertised - send it back or wait for Asus to fix. You have some decisions to make.

Is it? I've looked at his fork but only mentions the XT8, not the ET8. I send an email to GNUton for clarification bur haven't heard back yet.
Sorry, you are connect. He only supports the XT8, I mixed up the two models.

If you mean RC3 - this is not a release, but a beta firmware.
Well, actually RC3 *is* a release, one of several types of s/w or f/w releases. Perhaps you meant to say that RC3 "is not a stable release."

In Software Engineering terminology, RCx means "Release Candidate x" which is a Beta version of the software often released out into the field in order to test the software among a wider user base; the targeted users might be the public in general or only a limited number of privately selected users/clients.

The Release Candidate (RC) Beta version has the potential to become the final Stable Release or Production Release, sometimes also called the "Gold Master" (GM) Release, "Release to Manufacturing" (RTM) version, or "Release to the Web" (RTW) version, depending on the s/w distribution method being used.

Just FYI.

In Software Engineering terminology, RCx means "Release Candidate x" which is a Beta version of the software often released out into the field in order to test the software among a wider user base; the targeted users might be the public in general or only a limited number of privately selected users/clients.
In Asus's case, RC didn't stand for Release Candidate. The current firmware branch is RC2, and the new branch that became 388 was RC3.

RTFM is also used here. :)
Ah yes, of course. Although in many cases, it's usually the proverbial PEBKAC scenario instead.;)

In Asus's case, RC didn't stand for Release Candidate. The current firmware branch is RC2, and the new branch that became 388 was RC3.
That's an interesting twist. Sure, a company is certainly free to make up & have its own acronyms used within its own internal business processes & documentation. But, IMO, it's an odd choice to take a well- and long-established acronym used for decades within the context of s/w development, s/w engineering, s/w release life cycles, and change its meaning within the very same contexts. It would be akin to the same company saying that "SDK" will also mean something else, or "USB" will mean something different as well. In any case, to use the old tautological expression: it is what it is.

Do you happen to know what "RC" stood for in the context of ASUS f/w releases? Did ASUS tell you what it meant after saying what "RC" did not mean?

I'm just curious to see what they come up with.

Thanks for the clarification.

Do you happen to know what "RC" stood for in the context of ASUS f/w releases?
I don't know, only that internally they are referring to RC2 for 386 and RC3 for 388 codebases.

Wait.. where is this 388 FW? Is the old RC3 still the onlyi/latest build for 388 for the ET8? The latest the Asus site shows is Version 3.0.0.4.386.46061 from 2022/01/11.
It was never clear if this was "post RC3" or a separate release. I tried it for a couple weeks... things were worse (as far as keeping 60-70 devices online ( phones, laptops, ipad, cameras, sensors, TVs, ohmy)). I may try again and do a full wipe and manually re-set everything. Not sure if I did that the first time.

Would love to see that coming too!
I’m running a kit of ET12 that works great but I do miss some nice features such as the VPN killer switch.

I'd naturally assumed RC was Release Candidate (common on github). Who knows what else it could mean in this context.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!