What's new

What router can limit Internet bandwidth by Vlan, Ip, Ip range, or Group?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Bionic

Occasional Visitor
I would like to be able to throttle internet bandwidth. This is for business use. I do not want restrictions on bandwidth when sending packet to various intranet devices, but I would like to set various bandwidth policies for the internet traffic.

For instance.. I would like to make is so that certain devices can only upload to the internet at a speed of 1.5 mbps. Also I want an entire vlan to only be able to use 10 mbps upload collectively. Certain devices I want to be able to have them saturate the upload speed 100% and have priority over all the other traffic.

Which device has this feature?

I have looked at the current Ubiquiti and Netgear routers but they don't support this.

I prefer to do this via GUI, and not have to use CLI.

Thanks.

Sound like you want a pfSense router. It has a nice GUI, but you need to know networking to set it up.

Sound like you want a Mikrotik router. It has a nice GUI, but you need to know networking to set it up.
For extra oomph, if you have a decent server laying around, you can virtualize it with ESXi and a Mikrotik CHR license. (hint: CHR is free with full features for 60 days and the price for P-Unlimited is a steal for what it can do)

What pfsense
Sound like you want a pfSense router. It has a nice GUI, but you need to know networking to set it up.
What pfsense hardware would you recommend that can support a 500 mbps / 20 mbps speed?

Sound like you want a Mikrotik router. It has a nice GUI, but you need to know networking to set it up.
For extra oomph, if you have a decent server laying around, you can virtualize it with ESXi and a Mikrotik CHR license. (hint: CHR is free with full features for 60 days and the price for P-Unlimited is a steal for what it can do)

What Mikrotik router hardware would you recommend that can support a 500 mbps / 20 mbps speed?

What pfsense hardware would you recommend that can support a 500 mbps / 20 mbps speed?

For the above requirements even the little guys SG-1100 may do well. When you learn what the software is capable of you'll ask for more. I would recommend SG-5100 unit. Intel x86 hardware, AES-NI with DDR4 RAM. It will do Gb with heavy traffic processing and few hundred Mb on OpenVPN. I'm actually waiting for my SG-5100 to arrive. You can run pfSense on a PC. Anything $100-150 HP/Dell/Lenovo SFF off-lease i5 3/4rd Gen with 4-8GB RAM and a low-profile Intel multi-NIC card will fly. It will use 40-50W power instead of 7-15W for SG units, but comes for low initial cost.

Looking at the Mikrotik hEX RB750Gr3 5-port Ethernet Gigabit Router $56.90
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MSUMVUB/?tag=snbforums-20

The performance results are located at https://mikrotik.com/product/RB750Gr3#fndtn-testresults .

According to my brief google search regarding "routeros bandwidth management"

There seems to be a few different ways this is handled within RouterOS.

A few ways I see mentioned is to use Simple Queue, Tree Queue, or use Layer 7 mangle rules...

Have any one used these features, and can comment on how they worked and if 1 implementation is better than the other?