What's new
  • SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Benny_Boy

New Around Here
Hello people,

I recently got an Asus RT-AC88U on sale. The problem, however, is it's unstable. The stock firmware was unstable, leading that the wireless connection would just disconnect for no reason at all.

I live in a big house, however, It's a bit old(but renovated). I game quite a lot, however, I use a cable, so it's stable for me. I'm fine with 30-50 ping, so QoS isn't a game-breaker by me. A lot of people use the wireless in the house, so I need a good router to give me a good range.

So, my plan(for now) is to get the:

TP-Link Archer AX6000 Router paired with the TP-Link TL-WPA7510 KIT 11AC Powerline

or

Ubiquiti AmpliFi Mesh system, since the nodes only user power.

I'm not sure for what's best, however, the Mesh system is like 500$, and I don't know the range of the nodes, so It can get very expensive fast if I need to buy more of them. But if the range and speed are really good, I'll definitely go for it!

Do you have any other recommendations?

That’s a fairly good wireless router you have there. Does it alway drop signal while your next to it? Or, are you just talking about getting to far away and you loose signal?

It’s possible your at the maximum range for WiFi given your environment (home, location to electrical interference, competing networks).

If that’s the case you may want to look into power line adapters or MoCA adapters. The can use existing wiring (power cables or coaxial cables respectively). This would give you a wired connection to a point you can set up another wireless access point. Think about any commercial building your in and look up. You will see multiple AP’s in a building.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That’s a fairly good wireless router you have there. Does it alway drop signal while your next to it? Or, are you just talking about getting to far away and you loose signal?

It’s possible your at the maximum range for WiFi given your environment (home, location to electrical interference, competing networks).

If that’s the case you may want to look into power line adapters or MoCA adapters. The can use existing wiring (power cables or coaxial cables respectively). This would give you a wired connection to a point you can set up another wireless access point. Think about any commercial building your in and look up. You will see multiple AP’s in a building.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It will just drop for no reason when I'm standing right next to it.

I'll look more into the power line adapters.

Which band is it dropping the connection on 2.4 or 5 GHz ?

is it just one device that looses connection or all types of different devices ?

it is possible that one of several issues is present
1) wireless interference from nearby,
2) RF interference from nearby electrical devices - appliances, motor starts ( air heating/cooling for example), fluorescent lights, etc
3) poor connection inside the router, overheating, bad memory, etc in the router.

for 1) you can get some free software to run on a wireless device that will show you signal strength and channel for all nearby Access Points on each band

for 2, you have to observe what is going on in the house when the wireless drops.

for 3) no way to know. It would be a return to vendor for exchange.

btw, how are you determining that the signal is dropping out ?

is the drop out at a fixed interval ?

Sometimes it is the wireless client that drops the connection. What wireless spec is the device that you are seeing this on and are there other devices ?

Which band is it dropping the connection on 2.4 or 5 GHz ?

is it just one device that looses connection or all types of different devices ?

it is possible that one of several issues is present
1) wireless interference from nearby,
2) RF interference from nearby electrical devices - appliances, motor starts ( air heating/cooling for example), fluorescent lights, etc
3) poor connection inside the router, overheating, bad memory, etc in the router.

for 1) you can get some free software to run on a wireless device that will show you signal strength and channel for all nearby Access Points on each band

for 2, you have to observe what is going on in the house when the wireless drops.

for 3) no way to know. It would be a return to vendor for exchange.

btw, how are you determining that the signal is dropping out ?

is the drop out at a fixed interval ?

Sometimes it is the wireless client that drops the connection. What wireless spec is the device that you are seeing this on and are there other devices ?

Both bands are dropping, however, when using a cable it's stable. The signal is good, but the signal doesn't drop at a set interval.

When the signal drops, the devices (phone in this case) tries to reconnect to the wifi again.

I've been looking into some mesh solutions. The Ubiquiti AmpliFi Mesh system uses power, so no cable needed there, however, I don't know the range of the nodes, so it can get expensive fast if I need to get 3 nodes right away. My second choice, however, is the tp-Link Deco M9+ paired with a TP-Link TL-WPA7510 KIT 11AC Powerline, so I can get a cable to the rooms that don't have ethernet using the powerline extender.

I'm leaning towards the router have some sort of a defect on it.

Hello people,

I need some help picking a good Router to get for me in 2020. I recently got an Asus RT-AC88U on sale. The problem, however, is it's unstable. The stock firmware was unstable, leading that the wireless connection would just disconnect for no reason at all.

I got recommend (by this forum) to use Merlin firmware, which was better, but still, I lose connection.

I live in a big house, however, It's a bit old(but renovated). The problem with that is that I can't get new internet cables across the house to set up a good mesh network. I game quite a lot, however, I use a cable, so it's stable for me. I'm fine with 30-50 ping, so QoS isn't a game-breaker by me. A lot of people use wireless to people, so I need a good router to give me a good range, and having a good MU-MIMO might be a must?

So all in all, I need the router to have really good coverage, and it needs to be able to handle 15 ish devices connected to it(maybe 5-7 ish at the same time).

Any recommendations? What do you people use? I'm willing to pay the high-end version to fix my problem.

Incredibly sorry that the post was so long..

Check your temps....Under Administrator, Temperature....I would add a fan since I bet your temps are too high....as soon as I added a fan, WiFi problems went away...
upload_2020-4-19_9-6-13.png

Temps went down as soon as I put a fan in place....

upload_2020-4-19_9-7-25.png

What is a 'big house' to you in SqFt? :)

What is your ISP connection? Fibre, cable, DSL, satellite?

I would suggest flashing the latest RMerlin firmware for your router and following the steps in the M&M Config and ideally the Nuclear Reset guides too in the links below.

https://www.asuswrt-merlin.net/

M&M Config https://www.snbforums.com/threads/n...l-and-manual-configuration.27115/#post-205573

Nuclear Reset https://www.snbforums.com/threads/major-issues-w-rt-ac86u.56342/page-4#post-495710

For an upgrade over that older RT-AC88U, in terms of throughput and responsiveness of the network, the RT-AX88U with the same RMerlin firmware installed is the best Asus/RMerlin router combination you can buy right now.

With the latest v384.16_0 RMerlin firmware installed, you also have built-in access to amtm. And with a spare USB drive plugged into the router (16GB or larger, recommended) for Entware, a swap file and many, many available scripts, the sky is the limit. :)

The following link may be useful to get amtm and the USB drive and the swap file set up correctly. Just remember you don't need to install amtm with the latest RMerlin firmware. :)

amtm Step-by-Step https://www.snbforums.com/threads/amtm-step-by-step-install-guide-l-ld.56237/#post-483421

And the link below shows off some of what amtm is capable of. :)

https://diversion.ch/amtm.html

HTH. :)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!