What's new

What's the best N router setup (wireless speed wise)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

soda97

New Around Here
I have a MacBook Air and it only has 1 usb port
so it's very limited for the devices plus I wouldn't want to hang too much things on the laptop if I could use them via wireless
I have another PC laptop (desktop replacement) so I hope I could able to use that optical drive for watching movies, and do some burning and back up, stuff like that

So what is the best router that would give me a fastest transfer rate?

I'm also a little confused with some of the loss output such as using with 2.4mhz, 5.0mhz, mixed, password secured...

The Air has N wireless
I'm gonna get an N adapter for the desktop replacement
have another PC with G adapter and iPhones to go online so probably gotta use mixed mode?
I will probably password secure it as well

So with this setup, what is the best transfer rate - loss output?

I see that D-Link DIR-855 has the best rate but kind of expensive...
Is there another one would give me a similar rate?

thanks in advance,
soda

You might spend some time looking at the Wireless Charts. They will tell you which router has the best wireless throughput.

Other recommendations:
- Get 11n cards that "match" the router you buy, i.e. same manufacturer and product family.

- Run your 11g products on a separate 11g router. See:
Add, Don't Replace When Upgrading to 802.11n
Running a mix of draft 11n and 11b/g clients on any draft 11n router will yield lower throughput for both types of clients.

- If you have a lot of neighboring 11g networks, you might consider a dual-band
router. But using the 5 GHz band will yield a shorter range.

Thanks for the tips.

I have Verizon DSL modem, do I still need to get a G router?

In addition, it seems like Linksys WRT600N has the best result, am I correct?

How come the results are different from some other reviewer where D-Link DIR-855 rated as the fastest (even faster than WRT600N) and could achieve 232Mbps?
The result you show here is only 89Mbps for DIR-855...

Thanks in advance,
soda

I have Verizon DSL modem, do I still need to get a G router?

If the "modem" is actually a wireless router, then, you can use it to handle the 11g clients.

In addition, it seems like Linksys WRT600N has the best result, am I correct?
Not sure what you mean by "best result". But the WRT600N is a good all-around router, if you need simultaneous dual band.

How come the results are different from some other reviewer where D-Link DIR-855 rated as the fastest (even faster than WRT600N) and could achieve 232Mbps?
The result you show here is only 89Mbps for DIR-855...
Give me a link to the "other reviewer" and I might be able to explain the difference in results.

Since your DSL connection is coming via the Verizon router, you would leave that as your router, and convert whichever router you purchase to function as an Access Point.
How To Convert a Wireless Router into an Access Point
How To Add an Access Point to a Wireless Router

I looked over the reviews. I have never seen those kinds of speeds (over 200 Mbps) from any draft 11n router. Since the reviewer didn't describe his test methods in detail, I don't know how he obtained them. It might be that he is adding together up and downlink throughput.

so none can't get over 200mbps?
but would it still be enough to watch movies CD or DVD, burn some files and making backup all wirelessly?

soda

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!