What's new

Whatsapp & Wifi Calling Roaming Issue between Mesh Node (AC5300 - AC1900U - AC3200)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

cobragti

New Around Here
Hi Everyone,

It`s my first post to SMB forums again and hope I am posting to right place. Check my issues again there are some post but no reliable or solid replies. I am have a specific issue during a whatsapp calls or wireless calling (Via GSM) with my Samsung Galaxy S8+ (Exynos) on wifi.

When I made / receive a whatsapp call, got a reconnecting error when move from my main router wifi to second AP or vice versa. Whatsapp shows that my call reconnecting moved to AP. Again when the call started on AP, It transfers without any issue to main router but when I return to AP, reconnecting problem occurs. After 5 sec I continue to speak. This issue won’t happen on Iphone 11 pro . Again I do these for to solve these:

Note: “All this time routers Nat acceleration is off all the time” All Asus original firmware’s and latest Merlin when its available tried.

Modem is a wireless (Ralink) Docsis 3.0 Cable modem bridge to routers.

1st Setup – Main Router - AC3200 with Merlin – AP MI Router 2 (Padavan Firmware) set as AP Connected with Ethernet (Switch are present)

Having the problem in these conditions:

- SSID Smart connect on - Xiaomi MI 5G different channel All same SSID

- SSID Smart connect on - Xiaomi MI 5G different channel All same SSID (Disabled Firewall and all nat etc)

- Separate channels – AP Set Same as one SSID

No issues in this config:

- Main wifi separate channels and SSID - AP Set Different SSID – No issues on whatsapp calls, It drops to 4G and reconnects to new wireless in range. Smooth transition.

- Main wifi separate channels and SSID – AP set to 5Ghz main routers band with same SSID. Fast transition between AP’s no reconnecting error.

I thought that is a miss communication between routers again believed that MESH could solve my problem. So decide to upgrade my routers to a better Mesh ones and purchased AC5300 and AC1900U (Rebranded AC68U).

2nd Setup - Main Router – AC5300 with Merlin (also with Asus) – AP Ac1900U with Merlin (also with Asus) All firmwares were latest Merlin when its available. 386.15 and 386.16 all…

Having my problem in these conditions. (Switch are not present – Both routers are directly connected via ethernet)

- Main Router AC5300 Smart Connect – AC1900U AP Mesh Node

- M.R. AC5300 No Smart Connect separate channels – AC1900U Ap Mesh Node

- M.R. AC5300 No Smart Connect separate channels – AC1900 UAp Mode Same SSID

- M.R. AC5300 No Smart Connect separate channels – Ap à Mi Router 2 Channel All same SSID

- M.R. AC5300 No Smart Connect separate channels – Ap à AC 3200 Router Mode Channel All same SSID

- M.R. AC5300 No Smart Connect separate channels – Ap à AC 3200 Router Mode All Channels Smart Connect.

- M.R. MI Router 2 (Padawan) – AP è AC3200 Router Mode (One Channel set to 5Ghz) Same SSID

If I remove Asus routers, don’t have an error and tried this: Activated Modem’s as Router mode and set 2.4 Ghz and (as connected vie ethernet) AP set Xiaomi MI Router 2 with AP mode 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz same SSID. When I connect Ac 3200 in AP mode. I’m having that issue. Btw Modem and MI 2.4 Ghz has a perfect switch even not in same channel but in same SSID.

So I understood it will be a software issue. That is why I made some search in this forum and decided to tried these configs.

- M.R. AC5300 Without Smart Connect separate channels – AC1900U Ap Mode Same SSID

o Disabled Airtime fairness and Universal Beamforming setting all routers. Roaming Assistant -65 on

- M.R. AC5300 Smart Connect Same – AC1900U AP Mesh Mode Same SSID

o Disabled Airtime fairness and Universal Beamforming in Main router. Couldn’t check AC1900 setting because of Mesh. Roaming Assistant -65 on

Current setup is M.R. AC5300 Smart Connect on connected via ethernet to AC1900 AP Mesh Mode Same SSID.

o Disabled Airtime fairness, Universal Beamforming and Roaming Assistant -65 in Main router. Couldn’t check AC1900 settings because of Mesh.

Yes, I know maybe I should switch to an iPhone but after all this I’m really obsessed with this issue. I do believe it’s with Asus software not with Merlin. Sorry for the my long post but need to share this and need some advice.

Three different routers running three different firmware?

And using easily fooled 'auto' settings like SmartConnect and Roaming Assistant?

Yes, you'll have issues.

Any reason why you don't just use the configuration that you state works? :)

Three different routers running three different firmware?

And using easily fooled 'auto' settings like SmartConnect and Roaming Assistant?

Yes, you'll have issues.

Any reason why you don't just use the configuration that you state works? :)

Yeah for now, I sold Ac3200 today and now only have Asus Ac5300 and Ac1900U set to 2 different SSID. Which I don't need these all devices. I want to use the mesh function. But when I enable mesh the Ap and Router SSID set on same settings as one. Also cannot control mesh client wireless settings. For example when I disable 2.4 Ghz on Main router, Mesh node still works with 2.4 ghz. Basically I want to use Mesh with one SSID ( Smart Connect off)

BTW If I don't enable mesh on Ap and set ap Ap mode, Main router recognises connectivity of Mesh node wireless clients as ethernet client not wireless clients. Again the basic solution which is removing all Asus routers solves my case which is working... but lost bandwidth then... so yes... I can sell all....

Just have an update about my issue. Basically if you setup you router with AIMesh (node) or AP with Ethernet there will be a problem on wifi packet roamign on wireless channels. Agian I setup my AC1900U as AIMesh node totally on wireless Whatsapp worked well without issues roaming. Again had issues but not major one just as 1 or 2 sec reconnoitering error after several hops. I think this can work for me now. Will investigate as I can an share info.

Just have an update about my issue. Basically if you setup you router with AIMesh (node) or AP with Ethernet there will be a problem on wifi packet roamign on wireless channels. Agian I setup my AC1900U as AIMesh node totally on wireless Whatsapp worked well without issues roaming. Again had issues but not major one just as 1 or 2 sec reconnoitering error after several hops. I think this can work for me now. Will investigate as I can an share info.
I know its been a year since you posted this , but dude, thank you sooo much ! - you've saved me time and nerves! :) I was shirtting my pants to make watsup work in AiMesh , however (how stupid is it, Asus!) - if routers are interconnected with wires - instead of having much better result - they will drop connectivity on switch between them ...
Conclusion - wont buy ASUS next time

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!