What's new

Which Addon Do I need for this?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Old-Timer1

Occasional Visitor
Hi Guys,

I am brand new to Asus and Merlin and jus found this forum.

Currently running the latest stable Merlin on my RT-AC86U

Here's what I am trying to achieve:

I don't want all devices on my network to go through my NordVPN account.

I would like to enable a guest wifi network so that when someone connects to it, they are on a NordVPN connection and also using NordVPN DNS servers.

Just a few moments ago I installed Yazfi because in the feature list it says " Dedicated VPN WiFi networks " but I cant see anywhere to input my NordVPN login details.

Or maybe I need to use the vpnmgr addon to achieve this?

Hopefully someone can let me know if what I am trying to achieve is possible and point me in the right direction

Thank you guys

Hi Guys,

I am brand new to Asus and Merlin and jus found this forum.

Currently running the latest stable Merlin on my RT-AC86U

Here's what I am trying to achieve:

I don't want all devices on my network to go through my NordVPN account.

I would like to enable a guest wifi network so that when someone connects to it, they are on a NordVPN connection and also using NordVPN DNS servers.

Just a few moments ago I installed Yazfi because in the feature list it says " Dedicated VPN WiFi networks " but I cant see anywhere to input my NordVPN login details.

Or maybe I need to use the vpnmgr addon to achieve this?

Hopefully someone can let me know if what I am trying to achieve is possible and point me in the right direction

Thank you guys
Addons have a separate subforum.

You use the Advanced OpenVPN Client Screen for the NordVPN settings along with the userid/password.

Hey thanks for your reply.

I am aware that there is a seperate forum for addons, but I wasnt sure if I needed an addon for what I am trying to achieve which is why I posted it in this section.

So I dont need an addon at all to have all devices on my guest network run through NordVPN?

I was under the assumption that using my NordVPN credentials on the OpenVPN client section made all the devices on my network go through NordVPN, which is not what I want.

Sorry if these are basic questions but I am 79 years old and a lot of this stuff is way over my head :)

You don't /need/ addons to do this, but they make like simpler!

vpnmgr makes setting up a NordVPN OpenVPN connection easy, with added benefits such as checking for a new server on a scheduled basis (e.g. to avoid staying on an overloaded server and slowing down your connection)
YazFi lets you set up a guest SSID to use an OpenVPN client connection (amongst other things such as network subnet segregation)

Thank you for your reply Jack and for all your wonderful scripts.

So for setting up a guest VPN-only network that runs all traffic through NordVPN what way would you set this up? (I only want devices on the guest network to go through NordVPN)

Thanks again

Hey guys,

So I installed VPN manager on my router and input my NordVPN login details but this seems to run all the devices on my network through NordVPN which is what I didnt want.

I also setup Yazfi and input Nord's DNS servers but when I connect to the Guest network and do a DNS leak test, its showing my Pi Holes DNS and it's also not showing the subnet I selected (I chose 192.168.2.0 subnet but when I connect to guest network it shows my regular subnet 192.168.0.1)

Maybe I have some settings wrong?

Hope someone can help,

Thanks guys

Attachments

• vpn_client.png
    vpn_client.png
    379.1 KB · Views: 139
  • VPN_Status.png
    VPN_Status.png
    40.5 KB · Views: 141
  • yazfi.png
    yazfi.png
    14.1 KB · Views: 120
Hey guys,

So I installed VPN manager on my router and input my NordVPN login details but this seems to run all the devices on my network through NordVPN which is what I didnt want.
Check if you have set Redirect Internet to Policy Rules in VPN Client screen (I may force this via YazFi for redirected networks in my next update)
I also setup Yazfi and input Nord's DNS servers but when I connect to the Guest network and do a DNS leak test, its showing my Pi Holes DNS and it's also not showing the subnet I selected (I chose 192.168.2.0 subnet but when I connect to guest network it shows my regular subnet 192.168.0.1)
make sure you're definitely connected to the guest SSID and make sure it didn't bounce you back. otherwise, which firmware version are you running on your ac-86u?

My family just arrived Jack so I cant check the VPN settings yet.

When I tested I was 100% connected to the Guest network (I deleted the regular wifi network from my saved networks)

I am running 384.19 stable firmware.

Is a reboot required after setting up a guest network?

Thank you for your help Jack, I really appreciate it.

My family just arrived Jack so I cant check the VPN settings yet.

When I tested I was 100% connected to the Guest network (I deleted the regular wifi network from my saved networks)

I am running 384.19 stable firmware.

Is a reboot required after setting up a guest network?

Thank you for your help Jack, I really appreciate it.
reboot isn't required. if you're still getting the normal IP on the device itself then please run option d for diagnostics in the CLI menu. i can send you a file upload link for dropbox if needed, please pm me if you do along with diag passphrase

reboot isn't required. if you're still getting the normal IP on the device itself then please run option d for diagnostics in the CLI menu. i can send you a file upload link for dropbox if needed, please pm me if you do along with diag passphrase

Hi Jack

I set Redirect Internet to Policy Rules and it seems to be working OK.

I have a Guest network that runs all traffic and DNS through NordVPN
I have my regular network that doesn't run through the VPN

(This is what I wanted)

I have attached some photos of my settings. Would you mind taking a look to see if they look ok?

Also, I just wondered how I can set it so that Vpnmgr checks for new servers (and rotates) if the current one is overloaded. And is there any way to enable a kill switch if the internet connection drops?

Thank you for all your help Jack

My own kids and grandkids always have an excuse when I ask for help :)

Attachments

• vpn_client.png
    vpn_client.png
    91.9 KB · Views: 110
  • vpn_client2.png
    vpn_client2.png
    36.6 KB · Views: 100
  • vpn_manager.png
    vpn_manager.png
    42.6 KB · Views: 127
  • yazfi.png
    yazfi.png
    154.4 KB · Views: 126
Hi Jack

I set Redirect Internet to Policy Rules and it seems to be working OK.

I have a Guest network that runs all traffic and DNS through NordVPN
I have my regular network that doesn't run through the VPN

(This is what I wanted)

I have attached some photos of my settings. Would you mind taking a look to see if they look ok?

Also, I just wondered how I can set it so that Vpnmgr checks for new servers (and rotates) if the current one is overloaded. And is there any way to enable a kill switch if the internet connection drops?

Thank you for all your help Jack

My own kids and grandkids always have an excuse when I ask for help :)
the schedule you've set means at 23:59 (i.e. 11.59PM) vpnmgr will refresh the server used for the VPN client, i.e. the "recommended server" returned by NordVPN's api.
re. killswitch, there's an option for that on the VPN client screen, just below the policy routing section

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!