What's new

Which Asus router for Option 61 / MER?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

PULCK

Occasional Visitor
My old Asus RT-AC66U has given up the ghost and I'm looking for replacement suggestions.

I had it running in combination with a Draytek Vigor 130 modem on Now TV fibre. I had installed Asuswrt-Merlin, as Now TV fibre (same as Sky fibre) requires Option 61 enabled.

Which Asus routers supporting Option 61 are generally recommended? I'm not an advanced user, but like a router with more than just the basic functions.

Anything that supports Merlin firmware

To be more precise, the 86U would be a good upgrade from a 66U and not OTT if your are not an advanced user.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What is the size of the area being covered by the old RT-AC66U? It was a good router with great range for its time.

The RT-AC86U or the RT-AX58U should both give a good upgrade path, depending on what specific uses are important to you.

The RT-AX58U is a little more relevant today and in the future, but the RT-AC86U is superior for OpenVPN connections.

Give us a more rounded outline of your network environment and your expected uses, but the two routers above should cover almost every you will need for your upgrade path.

HTH. :)

Anything that supports Merlin firmware

To be more precise, the 86U would be a good upgrade from a 66U and not OTT if your are not an advanced user.

Thanks for this. Will I need to flash Merlin firmware for option 61 support? I'm definitely not an advanced user so avoiding custom firmware would be preferable.

@PULCK see the link in my signature below for the M&M Config to quickly get your RMerlin powered router ready for action.

Don't be intimidated by the number of steps. This is less than a 30-minute job, even for a beginner (for reference, it takes me around 15 minutes, regardless of the compatible Asus router I set up).

What is the size of the area being covered by the old RT-AC66U? It was a good router with great range for its time.

The RT-AC86U or the RT-AX58U should both give a good upgrade path, depending on what specific uses are important to you.

The RT-AX58U is a little more relevant today and in the future, but the RT-AC86U is superior for OpenVPN connections.

Give us a more rounded outline of your network environment and your expected uses, but the two routers above should cover almost every you will need for your upgrade path.

HTH. :)

Thank you. I'm in a 3 bedroom, 2 storey house. I do have Tenda MW3 units but they do seem to complicate life so I'd be happy to leave them unplugged if they are redundant.

I am certainly not an advanced user but I download large video and audio files for work, so I want a reliable router. Something that will last me 5 years and work for whichever ISP I switch to.

T
@PULCK see the link in my signature below for the M&M Config to quickly get your RMerlin powered router ready for action.

Don't be intimidated by the number of steps. This is less than a 30-minute job, even for a beginner (for reference, it takes me around 15 minutes, regardless of the compatible Asus router I set up).

Thanks! Will this invalidate the warranty?

Downloading large files 'from' work or 'for' work? If for work, the RT-AX58U would be my choice if the price is better or comparable to the RT-AC86U.

If from work, and you're using a VPN, then the RT-AC86U is greatly preferred. :)

No, RMerlin firmware won't affect the warranty. In fact, parts of his work have been included many times in the official stock Asus firmware. :)

https://www.asuswrt-merlin.net/features

Downloading large files 'from' work or 'for' work? If for work, the RT-AX58U would be my choice if the price is better or comparable to the RT-AC86U.

If from work, and you're using a VPN, then the RT-AC86U is greatly preferred. :)

No, RMerlin firmware won't affect the warranty. In fact, parts of his work have been included many times in the official stock Asus firmware. :)

https://www.asuswrt-merlin.net/features
Thanks, that's really helpful.

I hardly ever use a VPN (despite having a Windscribe account) so the RT-AX58U sounds like it might be more suitable. Will have a look around at prices.

Thanks so much for all your help.

Thanks for this. Will I need to flash Merlin firmware for option 61 support? I'm definitely not an advanced user so avoiding custom firmware would be preferable.

Yes you definitely need Merlin for Option 61.

As others have said it’s not painful though. Loading it is the same process as stock firmware.

Once it’s loaded the interface is the same just with a few more tabs and options.

For the most part you’ll pretty much get away with just setting the Option 61 string and your preferred Wi-fi SSID/Key and that’s it. Definitely would recommend following the guide suggested above though, will give you a much more secure, stable and higher performance router in the long run.
Have fun!

The RT-AX58U doesn't appear to be widely available online. Itccan be had for about £200. I see the RT-AX92U for £170 but is that a very different model? (It certainly looks it.)

The RT-AC86U goes for around £160 (the AC2900 model) which doesn't sound too unreasonable. But these are both mesh routers, so if I wanted to go that route presumably I'd need 2 units, which does add up to quite a bit. Could I use my Tenda units or would that just hamper my WiFi speed? Or is the router alone going to reach the back of a 3 bed?

The Mesh is optional. Just means you can have more than 1 if you wish.

I’d think an 86U should cover a 2 floor 3 bed house if it’s located as centrally as possible. Might struggle a bit if it’s in one corner. But so much depends on what the build materials are it’s hard to say.

I’d go for the 86U and if it does struggle you can always pick up a cheap (even second hand) 66U_B1 to add a a mesh node to extend coverage.

I’d steer away from mixing in other manufacturers access points etc. Much better to have 1 seamless network from a user perspective.

The Mesh is optional. Just means you can have more than 1 if you wish.

I’d think an 86U should cover a 2 floor 3 bed house if it’s located as centrally as possible. Might struggle a bit if it’s in one corner. But so much depends on what the build materials are it’s hard to say.

I’d go for the 86U and if it does struggle you can always pick up a cheap (even second hand) 66U_B1 to add a a mesh node to extend coverage.

I’d steer away from mixing in other manufacturers access points etc. Much better to have 1 seamless network from a user perspective.

Thanks, @JDB. 86U it is then.

I'll keep my eye out for a cheap 66U as the router is going to be in the corner of my house.

Make sure it’s a B1 variant else it won’t support AiMesh.
The 68U also pop up now and again on eBay, it’s essentially the same as a 66U_B1 in spec and price.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!