What's new

Which Asus routers are the most stable? (i.e. like the 68u used to be)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bbb0777

Occasional Visitor
Hi,

I'm likely getting a router for my elderly mother. The old RT-68U was rock solid in my experience.

Router speed isn't that important (her connection is only 100mbps). Range is not too demanding either (router is stuck in corner of a 1300+ square foot house).

But stability is pretty important.

I was looking at the 86u - but it seems there were stability issues with that one?

Which newer-than-68u models are highly stable?

I was looking at the 86u - but it seems there were stability issues with that one?

There have been issues with temperature, so that's something to keep in mind, but they should be solved with the latest stock firmware upgrade and hopefully in the next Asuswrt-Merlin firmware upgrade, but it's too soon to tell for sure. Nominal CPU temperature is an ongoing discussion on the forums, so it's hard to say who's right. Just make sure it's in a well ventilated place and you'll have a great and stable router. It's just the airflow design isn't optimal and ASUS seem to have to tried to cut costs on internal thermal conduction in some (?) batches. I do wonder whether this model it isn't a bit overkill for your elderly mother, event though it's still a very popular router. If you can't lay your hands on another (new) RT-AC68U, maybe look for an RT-AX68U, its Wifi 6 successor? Although I don't have any personal experience with it, I've read several people are very satisfied with it.

There have been issues with temperature, so that's something to keep in mind, but they should be solved with the latest stock firmware upgrade and hopefully in the next Asuswrt-Merlin firmware upgrade, but it's too soon to tell for sure. Nominal CPU temperature is an ongoing discussion on the forums, so it's hard to say who's right. Just make sure it's in a well ventilated place and you'll have a great and stable router. It's just the airflow design isn't optimal and ASUS seem to have to tried to cut costs on internal thermal conduction in some (?) batches. I do wonder whether this model it isn't a bit overkill for your elderly mother, event though it's still a very popular router. If you can't lay your hands on another (new) RT-AC68U, maybe look for an RT-AX68U, its Wifi 6 successor? Although I don't have any personal experience with it, I've read several people are very satisfied with it.

Similar thought (it being overkill) - I looked at the AX68U - but it actually costs more ($200) than the AX68U ($170)

I considered just another 68U ($117). It just feels odd to get something so old at this point? Worst case, it'd have to handle (due to guests): 1 TV, 1 tablet, and some assortment of smartphones - not a lot.

(For prices, I'm just looking at Amazon, so it could arrive while I'm still visiting. That or local stores, but they only really have the Netgear R7000, which is just about as old as the 68u.

AX58-U? That's $150 renewed on Amazon. AX56-U is $130.

Last edited:
I have no experience with the other AX models you're mentioning, I have not yet boarded the Wifi 6 train as I see no need for it currently. But if the RT-AC68U has always done it's job reliable and stable, why not go for it again (even though it's not the cheapest option), it comes with full warranty and it's plenty to fulfil the needs of your mothers home network?

Edit: I misread. It even is the cheapest option. Is that a new one? Sounds like a bargain to me.

What about the RT-AC86U?.....not outdated but still relevant? :)
Same thoughts here.
You guys should really read from the beginning...

What about the RT-AC86U?

This is perhaps the most unreliable one.

Conversely, my 2017 manufactured AC86U has seen around 35,000 hours of use so far and counting, serving many devices across gaming services, video streaming, audio streaming, home working, etc. without a hitch.

Conversely, my 2017 manufactured AC86U has seen around 35,000 hours of use so far and counting, serving many devices across gaming services, video streaming, audio streaming, home working, etc. without a hitch.
Very nice!

Very nice!

It is a capable router indeed and if you want one, buy it from larger supplier with good warranty. Higher failure rate doesn't mean every AC86U will fail. Unfortunately, some folks around had more than one AC86U dead. Search the forum for more details. I would avoid it for 3 reasons - 1. It's the first ever Asus HND router and the oldest; 2. It's built with poorly fitted cooling parts and has many thermal stress points; 3. It has a history of failing 2.4GHz band and malfunctioning step-down voltage regulators. One specific VRM dies often for unknown reason. Chinese forums have long threads about the issue.

Thanks for the tips, at least this one has an acceptable price.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!