What's new

Which Asus routeur for my use case.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

isaaccs

New Around Here
Hello everyone,

I'll summarize my requirements.
  1. Need a good Wi-Fi.
  2. More than 25 devices on my 2.4 GHz band.
  3. More than 15 on my 5 GHz band.
  4. Can't use hardwired backhaul
  5. Have metal pipe in the wall
  6. Want security features (VPN, DDoS protection)
  7. Have a good connection (close to 700mb in up/down) (so SQM is optional ?)
For this reason I suppose XT8 is a good solution, but I think it's to overkill for my apartment (45m2)
Could you help me to make a choice ?

RT-AX86U RT-AX86S as an alternate.

What is the SqFt of your home? If less than around 3,500-4,000 SqFt, a single RT-AX86U will be sufficient. If it can be properly located and the construction materials and techniques aren't made to Faraday cage specs.

Be sure you flash the router to the latest firmware available, perform a complete reset to factory defaults afterward, then do a minimal and manual configuration to secure the router and connect to your ISP.

Do not use a saved backup config file. Do not 'blindly' use settings, features, and options that worked 'once upon a time' in another router.

Almost all L&LD Links

Fully Reset / Best Practice Setup / More

[Wireless] ASUS router Hard Factory Reset | Official Support | ASUS Global

What is the SqFt of your home? If less than around 3,500-4,000 SqFt, a single RT-AX86U will be sufficient. If it can be properly located and the construction materials and techniques aren't made to Faraday cage specs.

It's 500 SqFt, but as I said I have the hot water pipes which are in the walls, which reduces Wi-Fi in some rooms

Be sure you flash the router to the latest firmware available, perform a complete reset to factory defaults afterward, then do a minimal and manual configuration to secure the router and connect to your ISP.
This router is Merlin compatible, do you recommend it for my case ?

It's 500 SqFt, but as I said I have the hot water pipes which are in the walls, which reduces Wi-Fi in some rooms

This router is Merlin compatible, do you recommend it for my case ?
I have reasons for using Asus firmware but Merlin for the AX86U also works well. My reason is to keep the network simple so someone else can work on the router if I am not here for health reasons. I want my family to have a good and safe network!

Edit: My AX86U is in an 1800 Sq. Ft. home. I am in a development that is adding houses. Each with WIFI and I do not have interference issues.

I would buy 2x RT-AX86U, but only unbox one and put it in the best central location you can. If a second one is actually needed, you can unbox the second one also.

Do I recommend an RT-AX86U (or two, in wired 2.5GbE backhaul AiMesh mode)? Yes.

RT-AX86U vs. RT-AX88U

386.1 Final 2x RT-AX86Us 2.5GbE Backhaul

And for the record, I only recommend RMerlin firmware on supported routers.

One is not only enough but also usually superior in an apartment. 'Too much Wi-Fi' is real. Particularly with many other AP's around you.

Ok thanks for your help.
For now, RT-AX86U is out of stock on Amazon.fr but I will order it.
Check Amazon.de. Is cheaper than .fr, although you should have to pay shipping, but normally not much (I normally ship to Portugal so not sure the costs to France)

If interference is an issue you might try using a wifi capable powerline adaptor to supply the area on the other side of the metal piping. Devices could connect to it and the router would feed it through your power lines.

That's my main question, is one is enough even for a small apartment but with metal in wall

Single router is more than enough. I own 90m2 apartment downtown with metal studs, metal water pipes and metal conduit pipes in walls. One RT-AC1900P router is covering all the rooms on 5GHz, no problem. The router is in the living room, like 40-60 off center of the area.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!