What's new

Diversion Which blocking list do you use?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Which blocking list do you use?

• Minimal

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • Small

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Standard

Votes: 14 37.8%
  • Medium

Votes: 13 35.1%
  • Large

Votes: 9 24.3%

• Total voters

Ninko

Regular Contributor
Hi,
Was just wondering which list people tend to use?

Feel free to mention any other list you use...

Thanks

Ninko

I use uBlock Origins (UBO) on my Pixel 4a-5G.

There is an Android Chromium based browser called Kiwi browser. It was stripped of all the "Goog-snoop", and sped it up up. It also allows you to use Chrome extensions, hence UBO. A very nice browser. It looks like Chrome but very tweaked out.

On all my other devices I still use UBO, but on my main PC and laptops, I run it with with Firefox.

On our Chromebooks, wife's Pixel, and tablets it's the same thing, Kiwi browser and UBO.

Edit: Oh crap, I just realized Diversion is a router based blocker. I can't believe I didn't know about it. I'll look at it, since I just bought a new Motorola MB8611 modem and a set of Asus Zenwifi XT8s and 1.2 Gig Internet deal. I'll be checking it out for sure. Thanks!

Last edited:
Diversion is a custom script for Asuswrt-Merlin. It won’t work on your equipment.
Ahh. Yeah I was looking for Merlin FW for the XT8 when I was getting set up... Not happening I see. That's a bummer, I've ran Merlin on many of my old standard ASUS routers.. oh well, my loss for sure. The XT8 could use some Merlin love. It's a wee bit buggy ATM.

Thanks s lot though.

I use Medium + a extra list from adguard
Code:
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/AdguardTeam/cname-trackers/master/combined_disguised_trackers_justdomains.txt

Is there a downside to using larger lists? More memory/cpu usage?

IMHO, larger lists cause a bit of extra latency.
Cpu/RAM?

I think of huge lists like having 20 locks on my front door. Does the job, but an excess use of resources.;)
I’m probably a ‘medium list’ person.

Welcome to the forum.

This is what I use .
1635861683358.png

Custom.

MVPS Hosts + an anti-bitcoin-mining one.

Although MVPS Hosts is old, it still gets the job done. My main concern is blocking ads on mobile websites when I use my phone because my desktop PCs use uBO and don't need a DNS-based ad blocker.

Yeah, nothing works. Whenever I jump to the larger lists, most websites break in some way. I think knocking out all the Google stuff breaks about half of the internet. :p I stay on Standard and use web-browser level blocking. (Mostly uBlock with a bunch of lists, which I can turn off if I need to with the click of a button.)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!