What's new

Which Firmware For AiMesh AC Nodes

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Ken Firch

Occasional Visitor
I've read various opinions on which firmware to run on AiMesh nodes, from it doesn't matter too much, to run as close to the same version as your router. I also heard that running the Asus firmware instead of Merlin is suggested, which is what I'm doing now. I'm sure many others may be rotating their AC models to nodes as we upgrade to AX routers, and retiring the oldest of the bunch to avoid over saturation.
The 386.9 Alpha looks very promising, and exactly what I'm looking for in my nodes: reliability and good range. I'll likely upgrade my nodes to it when released.

But, does it really matter if you run ASUS or Merlin on the AiMesh AC nodes? Fortunately my nodes are wired, so maybe answer is different for a wireless backhaul mode.

Thanks

The centralized (lack of) control isn't worth the lack of control. Better use of the spectrum is only allowed when individually controlling the nodes as APs, IMO.

Either way, though, there's little-to-none function beyond a switch with a radio so whichever firmware has the best radio functionality, if there's a difference to be had, would be in order.