What's new

Which OpenVPN client use for macOS?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Have used this for years and it works very well. One feature that I like is the kill switch that cuts the connection when the connection to the server is lost.
Interesting. I used this with the latest firmware on my 66U B1. Turning it on then off crashed the router every time. I switched to OpenVPN for Mac and all was well. I reported this to Asus.

Interesting. I used this with the latest firmware on my 66U B1. Turning it on then off crashed the router every time. I switched to OpenVPN for Mac and all was well. I reported this to Asus.
Latest firmware does not mean much. Asuswrt or Merlin and the firmware version? Did you disable compression in the OpenVPN Server?

I manage an RT-AC86U for some friends and have no issues with Tunnelblick. Also use other clients on Windows and Linux with no issues.

Last edited:
Latest firmware does not mean much. Asuswrt or Merlin and the firmware version? Did you disable compression in the OpwnVPN Server?

I manage an RT-AC86U for some friends and have no issues with Tunnelblick. Also use other clients on Windows and Linux with no issues.
I meant the stock firmware. Tunnelblick on my Mac worked before this latest firmware (3.0.0.4.386_49703). I made no changes to it. compression was enabled by default. I noticed that Tunnelblick complained that the vpn server was configured wrong somehow. No complains from OpenVPN, and it works.

Last edited:
TunnelBlick on MacOS (10, 11, 12) has been reliable for several years - no known router crashes connected to OVPN server on AX86U and AC66U_B1. Routers running Merlin firmware. OVPN Server Advanced settings include
Code:
TLS Control channel security > Encrypt channel
Compression: Disable
TunnelBlick on MacOS also used to connect to NordVPN and GL.iNet Mango OVPN Server.

I use Tunnelblick for my customers for remote work.

I've been using Tunnelblick on my Macs since I started running OVPN on my ASUS routers in ~2019. Has always worked well, and I like the features. I've never seen it crash an OVPN server, but if it did, I would look to an issue with the server before I'd blame it on Tunnelblick. Think about all the commercial VPN providers and their customers - Tunnelblick would be quickly singled out if it was problematic.

Tunnelblick is fine, but I personally use Passepartout because I bought it and it works great on both my iOS and macOS.