What's new

Why do people still use often-problematic Huawei etc USB modems?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RussellInCincinnati

Why don't people who are having trouble with USB LTE modems interfacing to Merlin WiFi routers, switch to using ordinary cellphones to get their Internet connection? Because every smartphone with Android 4.2 or later these days comes with a WiFi hotspot feature.

I.e. we can now use inexpensive routers, out of the box, that have the ability ("WISP") to pick up their internet WAN connection from any cellphone's wifi signal--and provide that connection to Ethernet ports.

Have been using Ethernet cables to connect, as (perhaps fail-over/secondary) Internet source for Merlin routers, $28 (US dollars) TP-Link TL-WR843ND routers. The TP-Links in turn picking up their WAN connection from any of the client's cellphones.

Retail store clients like this, because we just have to ensure that at least one employee at the store at all times carries a cellphone that can have it's hot spot activated. When there's a primary internet outage, somebody in the store wakes up a hot spot and the cash register continues to function through the TP-Link Internet connection.

Is portability of the small USB modem an advantage? That would be strange, because the Merlin routers themselves are not particularly portable.

There is something I am not understanding, about why people continue to fiddle with trying to get Huawei etc USB modems to connect to Asus Merlin routers.

I think it depends on people's specific needs. Some want it as a permanent Internet access, which means they can't just leave their phone at home 24/7 to provide Internet access to the rest of the house. They need something they can leave at home, and which integrate with the router for the rest of its functionalities (your phone's hotspot will hardly give you 802.11ac wifi performance, for instance).

I am able to get around 5Mbps dl/5Mbps ul when using cellphone as hotspot. They are using 800MHz LTE network where I live in.

When I use good router with stick and proper antennas I am able to get 50Mbps/20Mbps. Another solution for internet connection is adsl but speed would be something like 10/1 and it would be many times more expensive also. Just installing wires for adsl would be around 2000$. So I rather stick with 4G connection which would be cheaper and faster for permanent connection.

These lower two yagi antennas are for 4g reception. Each is around 1,8m long.
Z6FuiFtl.jpg