What's new

Why is my network going down?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

wootcat

Occasional Visitor
Here's my setup:

Cable modem > NetGear WNR3500L router > NetGear GS108 (8 port gigaswitch) > NetGear GS605 (5 port gigaswitch)

All my wiring is Cat6. One cable from router to GS108. GS108 feeds 3 computers and NAS. GS605 feeds a computer across the room and BluRay player.

Randomly, I will lose all networking. Everything goes down, but according to all the status lights on modem, router and switches, everything is fine. I even lose the mounted NAS shares.

Every time, when I take the GS605 out of the network, connectivity is restored. Almost instantly, other computers will regain internet within 5 seconds of my unplugging the GS605.

Any ideas why this is happening? I've tested all the cables. What should I be trying next?

Thanks!

Sounds like you may have a bad switch. I would try another switch or try running without the GS605 switch. You don’t by chance have 2 cat6 cables from the GS108 switch to the GS605 switch which could create a storm between the switches which would cause the network to go down?

No, just one long Cat 6 going to the GS605.

In the past ( and right now ), when I run the network without it, I don't have the problems. I had been running without it for several weeks, then added it back into my network 2 days ago. And then tonight, the problem re-occurred.

I think you have done the trouble shooting and found the problem. I would buy another switch. They are cheap now.

I had a Netgear switch with a failing power supply (internal part). It appeared to work. But as it got hotter, it corrupted packets and sent junk.

Ash-canned it.

Posted this on Netgear forums about getting 131F degrees from there GSxx switches. Don't use them, the ports will go duff (bad) on your. They're not designed for heavy packets.
Spend the money on managed switch (metal case) don't have to go crazy on switches but still you don't want your network going down on you over overheating switches.

Two first-generation GigE consumer switches I bought, D-Link and Netgear, both suffered heat problems and the internal power supply/regulator failed. I opened one, and adding to the misery were cheap bulging electrolytic capacitors.

I think in these Gen-1 GigE, they used chipsets that were just too hot.

I have 4 or so Gen-2 GigE consumer switches, 4 port and 8 port, even Fry's store brand, plus Netgear, and all are cool and fine. Newer chipsets I suppose.

Okay, so I bought a new switch. A NetGear GS105, ProSafe metal 5-port Gigabit switch.

I plugged everything in and within 2 minutes, I had the same problem. The entire network went down. I unplug it, and the internet comes back.

Any clues?

Hi,
Does it happen even if there is no device connected to the switch? Or the other switch could be bad .

The 2 items connected to that switch are a Mac mini and a Sony Blu Ray player.

When I have the switch out of the loop, I plug the ethernet that normally feeds the switch directly into the Mac mini and leave the Blu Ray disconnected.

I will try the switch with nothing connected tomorrow and report back.

I'd suggest trying to plug in the bluray player without the switch as well, just to be as thorough as possible.

Okay, so it looks like if the switch is plugged in all by itself, the network stays up. Next I will try the Mac mini through the switch and then the Blu Ray all by itself.

Right now, I'm willing to bet it's the Blu Ray player that's knocking the network out. If that's the case, is there any remedy?

First check to see if there is a software update for the BlueRay player.

Then try setting up a static IP on your network's router for the BluRay player.

If that doesn't solve the problem you either have to replace the player or only connect it to your network when you are running an app on it or streaming video.