What's new

Why no new Merlin firmware?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Welcome to the forums @ElmerFudd.

Have you read anything in this thread? It'll be ready when it's ready.

Asus has to repackage it, then release it (GPL), then RMerlin needs time to make it his.
Welcome to the forums @ElmerFudd.

Have you read anything in this thread? It'll be ready when it's ready.

Asus has to repackage it, then release it (GPL), then RMerlin needs time to make it his.

Hi LL&D, I saw we were waiting on ASUS awhile now and was wondering if any progress made.

Why has ASUS delayed the GPLs? i Wish they would just pay Merlin to integrate the great features directly in their factory release. ASUS needs a wizard as none of us want to go back to using bare bones factory releases.

Last edited:
LOL, not sure that would make a difference - since the question keeps getting answered over and over and over again - in THIS thread, where its been answered and the information posted that NO additional information should be anticipated until the next release happens, whenever that is!

Question really has not been answered. From what I’m reading, ASUS has changed their policy for supporting GPLs and there is no explanation of why.

Last edited:
At this point it really doesn't matter if we (as end users) get to know the exact reasons for the lengthy GPL release delay on Asus's part, as they are starting to move again, and alpha/test builds are now flowing from RMerlin. We were told in somewhat vague terms that there were issues with someone's (Broadcom? TrendMicro?, other???) proprietary software in the GPL. That presumably had to be removed and placed back into the closed source elements. End of story, and basically irrelevant at this point, as things are moving again.

Last edited:
If it has, I’m not seeing it in this thread. There is a reference that asus answered in in another forum…. Not sure where that is.
This post was directly from an Asus employee on October 2, 2021. (ASUSWRT_2020 has been confirmed by RMerlin to be a legitimate Asus employee)

At this point it really doesn't matter if we (as end users) get to know the exact reasons for the lengthy GPL release delay on Asus's part, as they are starting to move again, and alpha/test builds are now flowing from RMerlin. We were told in somewhat vague terms that there were issues with someone's (Broadcom? TrendMicro?, other???) proprietary software in the GPL. That presumably had to be removed and placed back into the closed source elements. End of story, and basically irrelevant at this point, as things are moving again.

Thanks Jsbeddow, that helps. I saw someone ask about an issue with proprietary elements but did not see a confirmation is this thread. You explanation helps a lot. Many of us have been spoiled with quick Merlin updates so 4 going on 5 months seems like an eternity.

I’m very grateful for all of Merlin’s efforts as his software customizations makes a good router the best alternative to a much more expensive commercial unit.

This thread needs to be locked already. There is an entire thread of info and people still insist on asking.
If you lock this thread, someone will just make another one. Someone may anyway, but that can be deleted and the person pointed to here.

if you don’t have a garbage bin, trash winds up everywhere.