What's new

Wi-Fi Roaming Secrets Revealed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

For roaming to be fixed, I feel someone would need to find a way to do this, but with WiFi APs and their corresponding clients.
(skip to 14:48)
Have a handoff that is transparent to the client device (ignoring any and all standards). An amazing outcome would be if a roam to the client could look like someone used extra long Ethernet and power cables, and simply physically walked that AP over to the room that the client is in.

can 802.11k and r be implemented on the software level or via a firmware upgrade to the NIC? This seems to me to be more of a protocol.
I have seen the feature added to routers via firmware upgrade. But support must first be added in WiFi device drivers.

I have seen the feature added to routers via firmware upgrade. But support must first be added in WiFi device drivers.
So its basically a protocol thing not limited to hardware? This means that its possible to upgrade both wifi NICs in laptops and routers to support it? If so this is an awesome thing as demand for this has increased and its a chance to address manufacturers to update their drivers.

So its basically a protocol thing not limited to hardware?
I can't say 100% for sure. It's possible there might need to be something in hardware needed for 11r in particular.

This means that its possible to upgrade both wifi NICs in laptops and routers to support it? If so this is an awesome thing as demand for this has increased and its a chance to address manufacturers to update their drivers.
Possible is one thing. Probable is another. Remember, 11k/v/r isn't new. 11k and 11r were released in 2008 and 11v in 2010.

Manufacturers generally aren't rewarded for updating old stuff. They do it only when they have to, usually security related.

I can't say 100% for sure. It's possible there might need to be something in hardware needed for 11r in particular.

Possible is one thing. Probable is another. Remember, 11k/v/r isn't new. 11k and 11r were released in 2008 and 11v in 2010.

Manufacturers generally aren't rewarded for updating old stuff. They do it only when they have to, usually security related.
thats still 8 years + ago, so most of the hardware around is going to be newer both in routers and clients. Right now there isnt an incentive to update consumer clients and routers but there soon may be. Even asus is showing signs as well.

Essentially it boils down to the technologically illiterate and marketing. With seamless roaming and poor wifi reception they are sure to push manufacturers to introduce this as consumers will want to reuse what they have or other hardware/routers/APs as well.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!