1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

Wi-Fi System Roundup

Discussion in 'Wireless Article Discussions' started by thiggins, Aug 9, 2017.

1. thiggins

thiggins Mr. Easy Staff Member

My experience with Orbi as documented in the Roaming series is that Orbi will try to steer idle dual-band STAs to 5 GHz, as a general rule. It steers even if there is a strong 2.4 GHz connection. I haven't established what it uses for a 5 GHz RSSI threshold, but I'd assume it's in the 70-75 dBm range.

As long as the SSID and password are the same, your clients should connect. If they don't (and some STAs can be stubborn), just "forget" the old connection and re-connect to Orbi.

2. JB20

JB20 New Around Here

Thank you once again for your insight and assistance

3. speedlever

speedlever Regular Contributor

Keep in mind that if you're blasting full power with multiple APs, your clients may have roaming issues since the signal strength may never drop low enough to cause the client to search for another, stronger AP. It can be a tricky balance and you may see differences between iOS and Android clients in that regard.

4. bit curation

bit curation Occasional Visitor

This is one of the best review found on the key differences among these mesh systems, the differences which are actually matter the most.

Would you consider to add Linksys Velop in the test? and what's the story about Nova, it has a huge upper side on the benchmark.