What's new

WIFI 2.4ghz issues RT-AC88U_380.65_0

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Cavey

Occasional Visitor
Hello all,

I have a RT-AC88U and i upgraded it to the latest firmware which was RT-AC88U_380.65_2. It was where the router started to act funny. 2 symptoms occurred. one the admin web interface became super slow even with a restart, clickin on an option took very long to react. The wifi 2.4 and 5 ghz also started to drop on and off. only LAN connect interfaces are unaffected.

Decided to revert back to RT-AC88U_380.65_0. The same issues remain till i did a factory reset. the admin web interface became normal. however my 2.4 ghz keep disappearing and or cannot log in (tries to log in but fails). Some devices seem to be ok and connected but when u surf it will give u a page not found

I tried another factory reset , setting it to 20mhz with channel 6, etc but problem still occurs.

Anything i can look try? My router cpu is running at 84 degrees not sure if that matters

Thank you in advance.

C

Hello all,

I have a RT-AC88U and i upgraded it to the latest firmware which was RT-AC88U_380.65_2. It was where the router started to act funny. 2 symptoms occurred. one the admin web interface became super slow even with a restart, clickin on an option took very long to react. The wifi 2.4 and 5 ghz also started to drop on and off. only LAN connect interfaces are unaffected.

Decided to revert back to RT-AC88U_380.65_0. The same issues remain till i did a factory reset. the admin web interface became normal. however my 2.4 ghz keep disappearing and or cannot log in (tries to log in but fails). Some devices seem to be ok and connected but when u surf it will give u a page not found

I tried another factory reset , setting it to 20mhz with channel 6, etc but problem still occurs.

Anything i can look try? My router cpu is running at 84 degrees not sure if that matters

Thank you in advance.

C

84C? that seems really hot, I usually am around the 60's, unless your ambient heat is pretty high. Can you check if you have 100% pegged cpu core?

84C? that seems really hot, I usually am around the 60's, unless your ambient heat is pretty high. Can you check if you have 100% pegged cpu core?
Hello akb. my core is usually 2- 6 % load .. maybe i will do as others and get a usb fan or cooler tray

This firmware: 380.64_2 works flawlessly. I had to revert back to that.
Hello muffintastic,

ok i noticed there is anew firmware RT-AC88U_380.65_4, will give that a go first.. if it fails i will go down to 380.64_2

Thank you both.

C

I had a similar issue. I have installed _4 and it appears to have resolved the issue (with only 10 minutes of test, so far).

I had a similar issue. I have installed _4 and it appears to have resolved the issue (with only 10 minutes of test, so far).
Hey Shandley,

hows yours with _4?

Just an update No luck for me .. , both 2.4ghz and 5 ghz disappeared after 4 plus days.. sighs will move back to 380.64_2 for now as suggested by muffintastic.

C

I thought it was going well but no, still got drop outs. It always came back a little bit afterwards but still, what a pain.
I, too, have rolled back to 380.64_2 and things seem to be better. we will see.

how is 380.64_2 working for you?

I think it should be better. About 2 hrs so far so good.

Also if u go wireless -> site survey ->Now that i am using back 380.64_2 i can see both 2.4 and 5 ghz, all the 380.65 firmware only shows 5ghz so perhaps its a good sign... Will try out for a week and revert :)

Last edited:
Hello akb. my core is usually 2- 6 % load .. maybe i will do as others and get a usb fan or cooler tray

Hello muffintastic,

ok i noticed there is anew firmware RT-AC88U_380.65_4, will give that a go first.. if it fails i will go down to 380.64_2

Thank you both.

C
84 is not too high. Chipset is designed to run 125 max. Quite a margin remaining.

84 is not too high. Chipset is designed to run 125 max. Quite a margin remaining.
125 is when the unit will probably completely shutdown, radios can start having issues when it's in the higher ranges, I was pointing towards a pegged core more than temperature anyways. I noticed every bluemoon one of the cores are pegged at 100% and a power button reset solves it.

I'm running 380.65_2 and the most I ever see off a single core is 20% and that's a spike under heavy use with around 13 clients attached to it. I don't know what my temps are but my unit is perched upon a cooler master laptop cooling pad with a 200mm fan blowing up into it. I don't think that I'll ever run a router again without some form of active cooling on it.

I thought it was going well but no, still got drop outs. It always came back a little bit afterwards but still, what a pain.
I, too, have rolled back to 380.64_2 and things seem to be better. we will see.

how is 380.64_2 working for you?
Hey Shandley,

Going back to 380.64_2 seems better for me, but 2.4 ghz still goes out now and then after 4 - 5 days not sure whats the problem really. Rebooted it at the end of the 5th day as 2.4ghz didnt come up after waiting for a while.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!