What's new

WiFi 6 Speed. AX88u

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jb68

Regular Contributor
Hi guys,

on the latest merlin firmware and recently got 900meg fibre installed.

getting 900 on Ethernet. About 400 on iPhone XS. But my iPad Pro 2020 which supports WiFi 6 is also only getting 400 (right beside the router). Shouldn’t I be hitting more speed than that?

I haven’t really changed any WiFi settings. I have separated the WiFi bands and on the wireless log. It does show ax 2 streams for iPad Pro.

any idea how to boost it further. Thanks.

99% of clients are only 2x2. That said speed tests take a lot of processor power. Is your iPad up to that ? 400 seems reasonable to me over wifi for a iPad. 500 to 600 is about max for 2x2 client so your not far behind and likely would never notice the difference.

My Thinkbook with an Intel AX 2x2 WIFI card connects at 2401/2401.
I have the 5 GHz @ 160 MHz on CH 36. That gives me 8 consecutive 20 MHz channels. Four in UNI 1 and the next four on UNI 2. Yes, UNI 2 is DFS.
My recommendation to do this is use Dual Band SmartConnect (same SSID on 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz). The reason for this is to allow clients to connect to the 2.4 GHz while the router on 5 GHz clears for RADAR which can take up to three minutes. Avoids upset family members and your 5 GHz clients will move over to the 5 GHz band in time and stay there. Unless RADAR hits your router and the radio has to clear for RADAR again.
Someone will be sure to slam me and bring up the fact that my fiber is not up to 900 Mbps. But if this helps you try something and it works, hurrah! If not, I have burned a few more electrons...

I had a look around on the web and people are able to get 800mbps+ using same iPad and router.

My Thinkbook with an Intel AX 2x2 WIFI card connects at 2401/2401.
I have the 5 GHz @ 160 MHz on CH 36. That gives me 8 consecutive 20 MHz channels. Four in UNI 1 and the next four on UNI 2. Yes, UNI 2 is DFS.
My recommendation to do this is use Dual Band SmartConnect (same SSID on 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz). The reason for this is to allow clients to connect to the 2.4 GHz while the router on 5 GHz clears for RADAR which can take up to three minutes. Avoids upset family members and your 5 GHz clients will move over to the 5 GHz band in time and stay there. Unless RADAR hits your router and the radio has to clear for RADAR again.
Someone will be sure to slam me and bring up the fact that my fiber is not up to 900 Mbps. But if this helps you try something and it works, hurrah! If not, I have burned a few more electrons...

What happens when the 5GHz band gets hit with radar? Does it switch off and checks every three minutes, and if clear, switches on again?