What's new

Wifi calling and AIMesh

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

apotts

Occasional Visitor
Whenever I am on a wifi call and my phone switches between routers, the call drops.

Any way around this?

AC86U main router
2x AC68U nodes (one wired, one wireless)
All on 20648

Doubt it, AiMesh doesn't support any of the various seamless roaming standards.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Merlin,

Thank you for the reply. Disappointing though! I'm sure that on previous firmware I got seamless changeovers by disabling RA, but not so now.

Oh well - no moving when on the phone.

That's a shame. @RMerlin - Is this something that could theoretically be implemented in a future firmware update? Or is 802.11kvr something that needs to be Wi-Fi certified or is hardware-based?

That's a shame. @RMerlin - Is this something that could theoretically be implemented in a future firmware update? Or is 802.11kvr something that needs to be Wi-Fi certified or is hardware-based?

I don't know.

Merlin,

Thank you for the reply. Disappointing though! I'm sure that on previous firmware I got seamless changeovers by disabling RA, but not so now.

Oh well - no moving when on the phone.
Are you sure on a previous FW such as 20624 it was working ? i feel the aimesh node / stability is much better (not sayin about wifi calling handover) but otherwise generally seems much smoother on 20648.

UPDATE:
(1) WiFi calling is unstable; on MotoX4 it turns on and off constantly every about 2 minutes, on Samsung S6 every 5 minutes;
(2) Business Skype with video - drops on handoff
Both above are good reason to pronouse AI-Mesh dead on arrival. The only reason for the mesh is preservation of handoffs.

Asus RT-AC88u as router/Ai-mesh + 2x RT-AC68r as Ai-mesh nodes (one ether, the other WiFi backhaul).
Cell Samsung S6 - no problems; Moto X4 constant disconnections every 2 minutes. Blu Win phone - no problems, steady connected to closest node.
Disabled Roaming Assistant; rebooted Moto X4 - so far so good - still connected; but S6 got totally knocked out. Reboot S6 and WiFi connected again to the closest (3 m) AC68r.
Interestingly Moto X4 connected to AC68rr two rooms away (15 m), instead of AC68r 3 m away. Strange. The Win phone, S6 and X4 are side by side.
Changing the name of a node causes it to be lost. One needs to reset and search Ai-mesh anew.
All devices have the newest firmware as of this writing (21 apr 2018).
Handoff of computers with skype video is fine, although occasionally the picture may freeze for a moment.
@Merlin - thank you for the years of taking care that we stay updated. Cannot wait for your take on the Ai-Mesh. Thank you!!!

Last edited:
UPDATE:
(1) WiFi calling is unstable; on MotoX4 it turns on and off constantly every about 2 minutes, on Samsung S6 every 5 minutes;
(2) Business Skype with video - drops on handoff
Both above are good reason to pronouse AI-Mesh dead on arrival. The only reason for the mesh is preservation of handoffs.

Asus RT-AC88u as router/Ai-mesh + 2x RT-AC68r as Ai-mesh nodes (one ether, the other WiFi backhaul).
Cell Samsung S6 - no problems; Moto X4 constant disconnections every 2 minutes. Blu Win phone - no problems, steady connected to closest node.
Disabled Roaming Assistant; rebooted Moto X4 - so far so good - still connected; but S6 got totally knocked out. Reboot S6 and WiFi connected again to the closest (3 m) AC68r.
Interestingly Moto X4 connected to AC68rr two rooms away (15 m), instead of AC68r 3 m away. Strange. The Win phone, S6 and X4 are side by side.
Changing the name of a node causes it to be lost. One needs to reset and search Ai-mesh anew.
All devices have the newest firmware as of this writing (21 apr 2018).
Handoff of computers with skype video is fine, although occasionally the picture may freeze for a moment.
@Merlin - thank you for the years of taking care that we stay updated. Cannot wait for your take on the Ai-Mesh. Thank you!!!

for WiFi call and Business Skype with video issue, Could you try to disable "LAN>Switch Control>NAT Acceleration" by WebUI ?

The same here. It’s fine when I am stationary, but Skype call breaks if I move enough during call. Skype call will also occasionaly drop if I am sitting about equal distance from my two routers which are also AC88 and ac68. For Skype I used iPad pro 9.7”.
Whole point of creating asus mesh wifi was to extend reliable range. For skype so far mesh is worse than single router.

The same here. It’s fine when I am stationary, but Skype call breaks if I move enough during call. Skype call will also occasionaly drop if I am sitting about equal distance from my two routers which are also AC88 and ac68. For Skype I used iPad pro 9.7”.
Whole point of creating asus mesh wifi was to extend reliable range. For skype so far mesh is worse than single router.
Could you try to disable "LAN>Switch Control>NAT Acceleration" by WebUI ?

Hi Arthur.
Your advice helped: I got no dropped calls anymore. Can you explain what does this setting do and why it helped?
The router glitched after I turned that setting off: AC88 webpage was showing it's still on "auto" after I applied the change, but after forced router reboot it displayed "disabled" correctly.
Also, can NAT acceleration be turned off permanently or that's not good and the issue should be fixed by future firmware update?
Regards,
Gennady

Hi Arthur.
Your advice helped: I got no dropped calls anymore. Can you explain what does this setting do and why it helped?
The router glitched after I turned that setting off: AC88 webpage was showing it's still on "auto" after I applied the change, but after forced router reboot it displayed "disabled" correctly.
Also, can NAT acceleration be turned off permanently or that's not good and the issue should be fixed by future firmware update?
Regards,
Gennady

NAT acceleration disabled is a template solution for wifi call dropped, we are looking for root cause.

NAT acceleration disabled is a template solution for wifi call dropped, we are looking for root cause.

'temporary solution' would be a better way of writing it. :)

OE

Has this issue been fixed on 3.0.0.4.384_20942 for the RT-88U?

I am using the RT-88U as an aimesh router and a RT-86U as an aimesh node. Do I still need to disable NAT acceleration if I dont want wifi calls to drop?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!