What's new

WiFi Enterprise/Consumer

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

This Dongknows website has some pretty amateur reviews
Yes, already noticed that test-results of the same device differ by more than 200% (!). Emailed him to ask for clearence, but never got a response.
Good to know that I should not give him the benefit of the doubt.

There is a difference with Omada though, with no active controller there is no 802.11k/v/r roaming technologies.
What exactly does the lack of this mean in practice? Is it something I should consider to be a must?
I've never heard of k/v/r. Also found some resources that mentioned "seamless", "fast" and "basic" roaming.
This article mentioned in this post is pretty technical. I'm prepared to spend the time to understand what's being said but drawing practical conclusions would be hard it seems.

The US-8-150W is higher level of product with more ports and more PoE capability than the TP-Link one. The US-8-60W would be closer in spec.
(When) do I need this capability? If i'd go the Unify route, does the US-8-60W make more sense?

I said it before, but thanks again guys for being such a great source of knowledge!!
My girlfriend can't understand how you can have this much time on your hands :p. To me it seems like an investment well spend :cool:.

Last edited:
What exactly does the lack of this mean in practice?

In Omada setup the controller provides roaming assistance*. In real life with no controller running some clients tend to stay connected to one AP even though another AP is closer and provides a stronger signal. You can observe this effect almost instantly with iOS devices, for example.

* - Thanks to @Trip to read the Manual for me and to point out the benefits of Omada controller running 24/7.

Also found some resources that mentioned "seamless", "fast" and "basic" roaming.

As per manufacturer claims, they all offer "seamless" roaming. In real life switching to another AP takes some time, usually measured in seconds. Omada and UniFi offer relatively fast connecting, but how fast a client will switch to another AP depends on the client's capabilities as well. I would say Omada is pretty quick with my iOS devices (2-3 sec), a bit slower with my Android devices (3-4 sec), there is no difference with stationary devices (just joking).

Last edited:
Omada Cloud Controller - €65 (roaming performance)
TL-SG108PE - €58 (switch + poe)
2 EAP245 - €178 (APs)
PFsense (firewall/router)

At "only" €300 investment and what has been discussed this seems like the way to go then.

At "only" €300 investment

It's €300 only because you're cheating. :)
You never mentioned you already have a x86 router available. It's like €250 savings right there.

I perfectly understand there is no single best universal advice in WiFi. I believe, you also perfectly understand what works at someone else's place may not be the best for your place. The equipment is good quality though and I'm sure you'll be able to install and adjust it right. There was another Dutch fellow recently with similar questions and he is happy with the results (most importantly - his wife is happy):

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/l...th-3x-rtn66-u-as-aps.60612/page-2#post-563424
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/l...th-3x-rtn66-u-as-aps.60612/page-2#post-564645

What I did recommend to him is to get one EAP access point form Amazon and see how it performs in his environment. If it works as expected - great, if it doesn't - send it back, we'll discuss further options. You can do the same.

Last edited:
Indeed cheating, and not for everyone. Seems we came to a good and future-proof setup!

If there are remarks left (by anyone) feel free to mention them.

I will start with one AP and post the results for reference :).

Seems we came to a good and future-proof setup!

My home setup is always in kind of work-in-progress state (I like to change and test things), but this exact pfSense + Omada is what I currently use. I don't usually recommend things based on reviews. My messages you read here are actually travelling through an EAP245. My wife on the other side is connected to another EAP245 and the fact I'm still writing here means I'm still alive... so, all good for now. Hopefully this Omada adventure keep you alive too. :)

It's €300 only because you're cheating. :)
You never mentioned you already have a x86 router available. It's like €250 savings right there.
My x86 box cost about $75 (probably $125 including NIC) since I use refurb enterprise desktops for mine. I have always been too cheap to buy a new box for this function. Unless chasing a specific form factor or a specific low power footprint, a 5 year old enterprise desktop has more than enough CPU to do firewall duties for quite a bit less cost.

Yes - it wouldn't fit and for the price difference I would have preferred a smaller, properly validated, fanless device :)

properly validated, fanless device

Just make sure it's properly ventilated, because fanless doesn't mean "heatless". If you want something to work reliably for years, make sure it doesn't operate at skin burning temperatures 24/7. The chips inside may not have an issue, but the components around them may have reduced life expectancy.

Omada Cloud Controller - €65 (roaming performance)
TL-SG108PE - €58 (switch + poe)
2 EAP245 - €178 (APs)
PFsense (firewall/router)

At "only" €300 investment and what has been discussed this seems like the way to go then.
Just wanted to add my backing of the proposed setup. In fact, isn't this similar to what you're running @Val D. ?

Gotta say guys. I'm really happy with the Pfsense choice. Playing with all kinds of stuff like Load balancing VPN's. Takes literally hours/days of testing, debugging and only allow strictly neccessary traffic, but nearly everything seems possible. Way better than the routers I've used which seemed to have a mind of their own.
Switch and first AP should arrive tuesday :).

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!