What's new

Wifi Guest network and DMZ

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RegevT

New Around Here
Hi

I have a AiMesh network consisting AX86U as the main router and AX56U as a node on my second floor.
The AiMesh is running on ethernet backhaul. Both routers run Merlin 386.5.
I have a WiFi based clock that displays the time and forecast it gets from the web.
The clock can only connect to 2.4GHz network and won`t connect to my main Wifi network that combines the 2.4 and 5 GHz network in to one.
In order to bypass this, I created a 2.4GHz only guest network and connected the clock to it successfully.
However, the clock is still not showing the time and forecast. I suspect that is it related to some FW rules but I have no idea what to open.
the clock is some Chinese "no name" brand that does not share the ports it is using.

My question is: can I put a device connected to a guest network on the DMZ?
Do you have any other solution in mind?

Thanks,
RegevT

You did not say but there could be a couple of reasons the clock will not connect.
1. Are you using WPA2/WPA3-personal on your WIFI? If so just use WPA2-Personal on the guest WIFI. Also make sure the guest WIFI Sync to AiMesh Node is st to All
2. Do you have DNS Filter enabled to Router? If so give the clock MAC address no filtering.
There was something else I was thinking of but I got distracted. If it comes back I will edit this post.
Oh, I think the DMZ is only for clients in the main LAN IP range.

You did not say but there could be a couple of reasons the clock will not connect.
1. Are you using WPA2/WPA3-personal on your WIFI? If so just use WPA2-Personal on the guest WIFI. Also make sure the guest WIFI Sync to AiMesh Node is st to All
2. Do you have DNS Filter enabled to Router? If so give the clock MAC address no filtering.
There was something else I was thinking of but I got distracted. If it comes back I will edit this post.
Oh, I think the DMZ is only for clients in the main LAN IP range.
Hi @bbunge , Thanks for your quick reply!
Here are my answers to your questions:
1. I'm using WPA2/WPA3-personal on my guest WIFI but I see the the clock is connecting to it and is receiving a DHCP IP from the router so I think this is not the problem...
2. I have no idea... I did not change the default configuration so if by default it is enabled it is also enabled in my setup/ I will take a look and try to give the clock MAC address no filtering.
I will update if it worked once I get home and try it :)

If you think of anything else' please let me know.

RegevT

@bbunge
Hi,

Just a quick update:
By default the DNS Filter option is disabled so no luck there...
Since the clock does connect to the guest WIFI network, is there a place that I can get logs on blocks that it receives from the router?

Thanks,
RegevT