What's new

Wifi , my laptop doesnt choose the best network

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Pergola Fabio

Hi,
on main floor , i have an rt86u
wifi setting,, channel 6 , WPA2 AES

on first floor, an older accesspoint
wifi setting, channel 11 , wpa2 AES

my laptop is almost next to the asus, but it always wants to choose the AP upstairs? why ?
other clients like a android, google mini's, choose the correct accpoints ...

why wants my laptop the worst connection?

for 5Ghz wifi, switching network works when i walk up/down stairs...

i also tried switching channels, like 86u on 11 , and the other accesspoint on 6
or with combinations like 1-6 or 1-11 ...
i dont have neighbors, no other wifi interference here..

what can i do to troubleshoot?

Devices control which AP they associate with and when they move (roaming). The decision to roam is usually made by monitoring signal level.

If there is too much signal overlap between APs, even if they are on different channels, the device will never see a low enough signal to trigger a roam.

Since your laptop roams correctly on 5 GHz, which has lower signal levels due to higher attenuation at distance, I suspect this is the case.

If your router or AP have transmit power controls, try reducing power.

no, that other accesspoint is quite limited in featutes, i can only configure ssid name, key, channel, thats about it
so you are saying that i need to take a channel maybe closer to each other, and not like 6,11 ?
maybe like 9,11 ?

so you are saying that i need to take a channel maybe closer to each other, and not like 6,11 ?
maybe like 9,11 ?
No, not at all. Use only 1, 6 and 11 and set bandwidth to 20 MHz.
If you can't reduce the power on one of the APs, that's ok. Try reducing it on the other one.
Or use only 5 GHz. Just delete the 2.4 GHz profile from your devices.

Because 40 MHz b/w eats up essentially half the 2.4 GHz band and you and your neighbors are more likely to reduce each other's bandwidth.
Your link rate may be higher, but the delivered bandwidth is probably not that much greater. Have you measured the difference between 20 and 40 MHz bandwidth?

neighbors, i dont have neighbors :)
i think link rate was 54 vs 300 , thats a lot offcourse

but maybe i stay stick with 5G instead