What's new

Wifi not secure after install 386.7.2

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Foodfrtht

New Around Here
After installing v386.7.2 , I noticed that my 5ghz channel was unsecured. I was able to connect to it without a password. See the wireless networks in the image.
My ssid's are ASUS-AEM-5, ASUS-AEM-6, and ASUS-AEM-2. There are two 5ghz channels. My main router is an axe11000 and I have two ax92u's as nodes. A reboot 9f the node will fix the problem for a short time, but the unsecured channel will return. Reverting to stock firmware fixes problem.

Attachments

• Screenshot_202208261.jpg
    Screenshot_202208261.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 130
After installing RMerlin firmware 386.7.2 (or any other RMerln firmware), you need to do a full reset to factory defaults and then minimally and manually configure the router to secure it and connect to your ISP.

[Wireless] ASUS router Hard Factory Reset | Official Support | ASUS Global
L&LD.

After reading your post, I decided to make sure I was not loosing my mind, so I factory reset all 3 of my routers using WPS button(as asus suggests). Things got worse.
Figure 1 shows 3 ssid: aes(unsecured), aes (secured), and psk2(unsecured).
Figures 2 and 3 show these ssid's in the UI in the Aimesh tab. They are set in the two nodes.
My configuration is: main router axe11000 and I have two ax92u's as nodes.
SSID set at initialization are: ASUS-AEM-5, ASUS-AEM-6, and ASUS-AEM-2.
Any ideas what may be happening? Thanks

Attachments

• Figure 1.jpg
    Figure 1.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 95
  • Figure 2.jpg
    Figure 2.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 86
  • Figure 3.jpg
    Figure 3.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 85
No, I have no idea what is going on there.

Flash the 386.7_2 firmware onto your main router (if it isn't already installed).

Fully reset the nodes. Do not touch them for 5 minutes. Turn them off. Do not connect to them in any way. Leave them off until you perform the following.

Fully reset your main router. Be sure you are not connected to your ISP (WAN) or any other LAN and/or USB device(s).

After your router is fully reset, perform a temporary setup of the router (just enough to get into the main menu) and fully reset it via the GUI. Be sure you check the box that says 'Initialize all settings...' too.

Perform one more temporary setup and this time, reflash the same 386.7_2 firmware for your model.

Afterward, reset the router again via the Reset Button method, the WPS Button method, and the GUI method.

With the above complete, the nodes still off, the WAN not connected and nothing else plugged into the main router (no WAN, LAN, or USB devices), configure your router with a new User Name (maximum 8 alphanumeric characters), new SSIDs (max 8 characters, no spaces, no punctuation, no special characters, no smiley faces) and passwords (max 16 characters with the same limitations).

Do not change any other settings. Do not even go and look at how the settings are configured in various parts of the GUI. Toggling options and features on and then off is not the same as leaving those same options/features off in the first place.

After letting the router idle for 10 minutes or so, reboot it via the GUI.

Also at this point, reboot the computer you're using to configure it with. Be sure you also reboot any other device before connecting to the router too.

Note that rebooting is different than shutting down, then powering up again. Perform a reboot.

If the issues continue after this point, I would be leaning towards this being a sign of failing hardware.

Flash the 386.7_2 firmware onto your main router (if it isn't already installed).

Fully reset the nodes. Do not touch them for 5 minutes. Turn them off. Do not connect to them in any way. Leave them off until you perform the following.

Fully reset your main router. Be sure you are not connected to your ISP (WAN) or any other LAN and/or USB device(s).

After your router is fully reset, perform a temporary setup of the router (just enough to get into the main menu) and fully reset it via the GUI. Be sure you check the box that says 'Initialize all settings...' too.

Perform one more temporary setup and this time, reflash the same 386.7_2 firmware for your model.

Afterward, reset the router again via the Reset Button method, the WPS Button method, and the GUI method.

With the above complete, the nodes still off, the WAN not connected and nothing else plugged into the main router (no WAN, LAN, or USB devices), configure your router with a new User Name (maximum 8 alphanumeric characters), new SSIDs (max 8 characters, no spaces, no punctuation, no special characters, no smiley faces) and passwords (max 16 characters with the same limitations).

Do not change any other settings. Do not even go and look at how the settings are configured in various parts of the GUI. Toggling options and features on and then off is not the same as leaving those same options/features off in the first place.

Also at this point, reboot the computer you're using to configure it with. Be sure you also reboot any other device before connecting to the router too.

Note that rebooting is different than shutting down, then powering up again. Perform a reboot.

If the issues continue after this point, I would be leaning towards this being a sign of failing hardware.
Thanks for the help. It will take a few days to do this. My family needs the internet. Will probably try Mon or Tues.
Just so you know, I installed the new asus firmware Version 3.0.0.4.388.20499. Same problem occured. I reinstalled the version I was using before the update to 386.7.2. I am now running asus Version 3.0.0.4.386.47875 from March. .Not having the problem with this version.

Yes, I was able to connect to the ssid without a password.

In this case you may have to revert to stock Asuswrt. Once 388 code base stock Asuswrt becomes available for your router you may not need Asuswrt-Merlin anymore, unless you have complicated VPN configuration or want to use custom scripts. Almost everything else what used to be Asuswrt-Merlin specific is included in 388 firmware with some GUI and configuration differences only, including VPN Fusion. You have options.

And there are thousands not having an issue with the 386.7_2 version either.

If your hardware can't run it reliably (even if you decide later you don't want to continue using it), that is a hardware problem to me and I would be returning it. Regardless of how well it 'seems' to run stock.

Here are some more links to do more reading on properly setting up an RMerlin-powered router.

[Wireless] ASUS router Hard Factory Reset | Official Support | ASUS Global

Fully Reset / Best Practice Setup / More

Almost all L&LD Links

About L&LD

Hope you can get these issues sorted out soon (before your return window expires).

LLD. Just to let you know, I followed your instructions for my router. The axe11000 was fine, but the problem returned when I added the ax92U nodes. Makes me think that the problem may be with the 92u's. I did a hard reset on the nodes and readded them. It has been over a week and the problem has not returned. I am hopeful that things will remain good. I would like to use some of the features of the Merlin firmware.