What's new

WiFi performance Vs cable

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Asus is the best for WiFi mesh systems, I've tried Google, Netgear, Ubiqui and sent them all back. Latency and throughput was the primary reason I settled on Asus.

WiFi 5 will add around 2ms - 3ms, WiFi6 <1ms. If you use a mesh system, the satellites will add around 1ms - 2ms.

Current Asus AX routers will give you 1gbps over WiFi. Depending on the model, others will do more.

Interesting, are there any reviews showing WiFi 6 with sub 1ms latency when under load? Or maybe load conditions aren't that big of a deal, I'm not really sure.

Interesting, are there any reviews showing WiFi 6 with sub 1ms latency when under load? Or maybe load conditions aren't that big of a deal, I'm not really sure.
I'm not sure. If latency is an issue for you, it's always best to conduct your own tests. I doubt sub 1ms under load is possible.

I wanted to build a wireless network where people could stream, game and upload to the cloud at the same time. High latencies under load on our old AC setup effected game pings. What worked for us was using AX with OFDMA enabled. There is still a slight increase but only when everything is fully maxed out, which rarely happens.

I'm not sure. If latency is an issue for you, it's always best to conduct your own tests. I doubt sub 1ms under load is possible.

I wanted to build a wireless network where people could stream, game and upload to the cloud at the same time. High latencies under load on our old AC setup effected game pings. What worked for us was using AX with OFDMA enabled. There is still a slight increase but only when everything is fully maxed out, which rarely happens.

I use RDP extensively and also transfer some big files sometimes. I am happy with gigabit ethernet, might upgrade when it's cheap enough. I don't know how bad latency is affected on ethernet but I'm guessing not much as I don't notice RDP lagging.

I use RDP extensively and also transfer some big files sometimes. I am happy with gigabit ethernet, might upgrade when it's cheap enough. I don't know how bad latency is affected on ethernet but I'm guessing not much as I don't notice RDP lagging.
My network is used by creatives (film crew). They don't use remote desktop, but they do use team viewer and Adobe cloud services. Had no reports of lag. In fact, they say it's better than their office Internet.

As long as you have a nice symmetrical 1gb WAN, an Asus WiFi mesh would be fine. Just make sure it's WiFi 6 / AX

Looking at buying a new house and don't really want to start drilling and cutting to install ethernet cable in every room.

It's WiFi a reasonable replacement for hops between rooms? Say from downstairs to an upstairs room, or between upstairs rooms?

I will be transferring files to/from a NAS, and hopefully getting gigabit internet. Current LAN is gigabit and I'm happy with that.

I see some of the 6ghz stuff seems to be fast enough but latency seems very high in the tens of milliseconds.

Am I going to end up with power tools or is this doable?
if are into gaming then cable will be better as u will get late packet loss and better ping else wifi is just fine

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!