What's new

WIfi Radar Interference

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

clvk07

I have VIrgin Media router in Bridge mode, connected to Asus AX86U in router mode and to Orbi Mesh (3 units) in AP mode.

In the last few months one of the Orbi mesh keeps switching from 5GHZ backhaul to 2.4GHZ which is a sign of connection problem between Orbi router and satellite. The other Orbi satellite which is about 8 meters from the Orbi router always stays at 5GHZ. The one having the issue is about 5 meters from the Orbi Router. I swapped satellites, same issue.

I looked into the Virgin Router log and I can see a lot of

27-02-2021 14:38:48warning[38:43:7D:A7:F3:CF][DFS] Radar signal detected, DFS sequence applied, channel changed from 104 to 44
27-02-2021 14:38:38warning[38:43:7D:A7:F3:CF][DFS] Radar signal detected, DFS sequence applied, channel changed from 104 to 36

SO it seems that both Virgin router and Netgear are detecting some interference issues. Any way to detect where the interference is coming from? Could be somebody around using some devices that shouldn't?

You are using DFS channels. If the router detects RADAR transmissions on the channels you have picked, it will change automatically. It is a legal requirement. Do you live near to an airport by any chance?

I have VIrgin Media router in Bridge mode, connected to Asus AX86U in router mode and to Orbi Mesh (3 units) in AP mode.

In the last few months one of the Orbi mesh keeps switching from 5GHZ backhaul to 2.4GHZ which is a sign of connection problem between Orbi router and satellite. The other Orbi satellite which is about 8 meters from the Orbi router always stays at 5GHZ. The one having the issue is about 5 meters from the Orbi Router. I swapped satellites, same issue.

I looked into the Virgin Router log and I can see a lot of

27-02-2021 14:38:48warning[38:43:7D:A7:F3:CF][DFS] Radar signal detected, DFS sequence applied, channel changed from 104 to 44
27-02-2021 14:38:38warning[38:43:7D:A7:F3:CF][DFS] Radar signal detected, DFS sequence applied, channel changed from 104 to 36

SO it seems that both Virgin router and Netgear are detecting some interference issues. Any way to detect where the interference is coming from? Could be somebody around using some devices that shouldn't?

Try using fixed (not Auto), least congested, non-DFS 5.0 channels 36-48,52-144 DFS,149-161,165 at 20/40/80 MHz bandwidth.

1614438131154.png

OE

Yes I do about 4km. The problem seems to be in the front of the house, the garden cabin where the other satellite is seems good. Could be somebody using some dodgy devices?

The warning I posted is detected by the virgin media router, my main problem is with the Orb backhaul which keeps losing 5GHZ connection. Doesn't seem I can change the settings for the backhaul. Was also wondering if it could be dangerous for the health

Over in the Netgear SNB forum Voxel has custom firmware for RBK50 and RBK53 that might have the abilities needed to set fixed channels. I had an RBK50 and gave it away in favor of Asus which is more configurable.

That's odd. When a VM Super Hub is set to modem mode, it should become exactly that and no longer has any router capabilities.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!