What's new

WikiDevi shutting down 10/31/2019

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

sfx2000

Part of the Furniture
FYI... impending loss of a great resource...

WikiDevi will be going offline 2019-10-31. For historical dumps of the database, see 'WikiDevi' @ the Internet Archive (MW XML, Files, Images).

Final dumps will be made available after the site goes offline.

There is no chance the data will not live on, in some form - even if it isn't 'WikiDevi' anymore. For example, see TechInfoDepot.

It's a terrible loss to the community... hopefully someone picks up the reigns to continue the site...

Site may already be gone. Couldn't raise it just now.
It has been a great resource, but was definitely a labor of love.

Sad news indeed.

To my shame :oops: I "saw" that message the other day but only glanced at the beginning of it and thought "oh, it'll be going down for maintenance". It didn't register that it was permanent.

Maybe TechInfoDepot could buy the domain name and use it as a redirector (WikiDevi is much easier to remember).

There's enough interest through the OpenWRT community that I wouldn't be surprised if it gets transplanted in pretty short order. I wouldn't expect it to remain down for all that long.

I would be willing to permanently host the site. But without updates, its usefulness would be limited, no?

Reactions: RTN
I would be willing to permanently host the site. But without updates, its usefulness would be limited, no?

I agree that ideally, it would have to be an actual Wiki (so people would be able to update its content), not just a static archive.

Reactions: RTN
I agree that ideally, it would have to be an actual Wiki (so people would be able to update its content), not just a static archive.
I never could figure out what the motivation was of the person(s) who created and maintained WikiDevi, other than a labor of love. It's a LOT of work to get product details.

The base is deployed by the developer Wive-NG (sfstudio), it will be possible to discuss the possibility of hosting with him.
I am a moderator of wl500g.info (Omega) and have been constantly updating WikiDevi pages and tables for 5 years;)
Now I am also updating the new WikiDevi database, added links to alternative firmware on the main page.
If it is possible to host WikiDevi on your hosting, you can discuss the transfer of the database in private messages.

Wondering - what would be the costs to maintain something like WikiDevi...

I can see the utility for a limited audience, mostly developers, and there, it might be something more oriented towards the OpenWRT team, which also needs support.

Hosting itself if relatively cheap unless the site gets huge traffic, which I don't think is the case.

It costs more to secure the site, keep it updated, monitor it and deal with the hassles of constant doorknob rattling.

I rethought this and decided to not pursue hosting.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!