What's new

Will a MoCA network work

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Benjamin A Cox

New Around Here
Hello, I recently moved into a new house and had the internet set up by Cox. I would like to extend wired internet to the upstairs rooms but don't want to feed Ethernet cable throughout the house. The modem that Cox installed is plugged into a main feed auxiliary port in the downstairs living room, I am trying to figure out if it is possible to setup a MoCA network with how Cox has my internet set up. The main feed auxiliary port is the only on the ground floor and i'm wondering if it's even possible to have the feed come out through that port, pass through the modem, then transferred to a MoCA adapter and back into the same aux port. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Usually the coax from the wall first goes into the MoCA adapter which has a coax output which you can use to connect to your cable modem. Ethernet would also connect to the MoCA adapter.

If the MOCA adapter you purchase doesn't have a pass through port (second f-fitting connector ) then purchase a two way splitter that is rated to pass MOCA frequencies. MOCA adapter connects to one port on the splitter the other port connects to whatever was connected at this location previously.

Usually the coax from the wall first goes into the MoCA adapter which has a coax output which you can use to connect to your cable modem. Ethernet would also connect to the MoCA adapter.
So it doesnt matter that my internet cable and phone all pass through the same modem. I can just place the moca adapter before that?

Yes. That will work fine but the devil is in the details. You need to locate all spliters in the COAX run between where you are going to connect your first MOCA adapter and where you are going to place the second MOCA adapter and install your AP and be sure they are MOCA compliant.

Yes. That will work fine but the devil is in the details. You need to locate all spliters in the COAX run between where you are going to connect your first MOCA adapter and where you are going to place the second MOCA adapter and install your AP and be sure they are MOCA compliant.
thank you, i suppose at this point ill just have to try it and see

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!