1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

Will a MoCA network work

Discussion in 'MoCA, HomePlug, HPNA' started by Benjamin A Cox, Aug 22, 2019.

1. Benjamin A Cox

Benjamin A Cox New Around Here

Hello, I recently moved into a new house and had the internet set up by Cox. I would like to extend wired internet to the upstairs rooms but don't want to feed Ethernet cable throughout the house. The modem that Cox installed is plugged into a main feed auxiliary port in the downstairs living room, I am trying to figure out if it is possible to setup a MoCA network with how Cox has my internet set up. The main feed auxiliary port is the only on the ground floor and i'm wondering if it's even possible to have the feed come out through that port, pass through the modem, then transferred to a MoCA adapter and back into the same aux port. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Internet Man

Internet Man Senior Member

Usually the coax from the wall first goes into the MoCA adapter which has a coax output which you can use to connect to your cable modem. Ethernet would also connect to the MoCA adapter.

3. CaptainSTX

CaptainSTX Very Senior Member

If the MOCA adapter you purchase doesn't have a pass through port (second f-fitting connector ) then purchase a two way splitter that is rated to pass MOCA frequencies. MOCA adapter connects to one port on the splitter the other port connects to whatever was connected at this location previously.

4. Benjamin A Cox

So it doesnt matter that my internet cable and phone all pass through the same modem. I can just place the moca adapter before that?

5. CaptainSTX

CaptainSTX Very Senior Member

Yes. That will work fine but the devil is in the details. You need to locate all spliters in the COAX run between where you are going to connect your first MOCA adapter and where you are going to place the second MOCA adapter and install your AP and be sure they are MOCA compliant.

6. Benjamin A Cox

thank you, i suppose at this point ill just have to try it and see